Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can countdown timer be added to a specific category and display on discussion list?

I have a range of categories and countdown would only relate to one category which is for events. I only want the time clock to display on the original discussion post which will be for an event. Is this all easily possible with this plugin or with a bit of customisation?

Also how easy would it then be to add a filter to show in order or soonest expiring post? And then what happens when the countdown reaches zero? Does the post automatically archive/delete?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@TownFish said:
    I have a range of categories and countdown would only relate to one category which is for events. I only want the time clock to display on the original discussion post which will be for an event. Is this all easily possible with this plugin or with a bit of customisation?

Also how easy would it then be to add a filter to show in order or soonest expiring post? And then what happens when the countdown reaches zero? Does the post automatically archive/delete?

what happened when you tried it?

I only want the time clock to display on the original discussion post which will be for an event. Is this all easily possible with this plugin or with a bit of customisation?

this is exactly what he says it does in the description.

does it not work that way for you?

And then what happens when the countdown reaches zero?

the timer just stops at 0 and all is quiet in the world.

As far as I know - you can't add multiple timers with this plugin, but your developer could probably modify it, it would probably be painful though.

your title is confusing:

Can countdown timer be added to a specific category and display on discussion list?

vs.

I only want the time clock to display on the original discussion post

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I havn't done yet as I'm not the developer but I can get my dev's to take a look, although we just lost our developer who was familiar with Garden and in the process of looking for a suitable replacement. Does this plugin do what i require out of the box or does it need to be customised?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@TownFish said: I havn't done yet as I'm not the developer but I can get my dev's to take a look, although we just lost our developer who was familiar with Garden ...

you don't need to be a developer to try out a plugin to see if it works the way you want it to work, out of the box.

maybe they will turn up. where did you last see them? :)

I always hate when people tell me "Where did you last see it?" whenever I lose something, If I knew where I lost it, I wouldn't have to find it. if you know what I mean.

Does this plugin do what i require out of the box or does it need to be customised?

it does what it says in description. one timer. put it in a comment or a discussion.

your requirements conflict with each other. see my edited comment. also try it out.

I know you like to know what something does.

But I want to suggest that you try the plugins and themes.

they take five minutes to install and download.

the description and readme usually answer the questions.

Yes, you are trying to glean info prior to use, but it is a bit unfair, it seems as if you want someone to spend as much time answering your question as it would take you just by testing the plugin or theme.

if you have questions after trying plugin or theme, it seems valid.

but the setup for most plugins and themes is quite minimal.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you could also try this one as well. it might work for you.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/217475/#Comment_217475

• sorry didn't see the other quotes at first as using mobile...

When I read the description it says it displays on comments only, perhaps I misread or understood - apologies.

Maybe my use for this plugin is not how it's intended to be used, if you cannot assign this plugin to a specific category it's not really going to work for me.

My thinking was to display a list of events inside one category all of which could show different countdown timers from the discussion list page.

@peregrine‌ are you open to doing sponsored plugin work I have some requirements I'm willing to pay for?

• @TownFish said:

peregrine‌ are you open to doing sponsored plugin work I have some requirements I'm willing to pay for?

I'm open, pm me with details and what you will pay for the plugin you want.

• you might want to look at a few of the event calendar plugin people have posted, it might be more suitable.

I don't know where they are. But i know there were discussions in the past and I think some add-ons as well.

• TownFishTownFish New
    edited December 2014

@peregrine said:
    but the setup for most plugins and themes is quite minimal.

I fully understand where you are coming from and perhaps I'm doing wrong by enquiring about plugins.

I don't really know where to start with installing and testing plugins but would be happy to learn are there any links with easy steps? It's always been handled by my developers but now the main one has left its not easy to get something looked at :-(

If its really easy to do that is great would appreciate some guidance. :-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

there are numerous ways to do it.

one way is to go to download page.

download plugin.

unzip it.

use filezilla or some program like that and put it in your plugins folder.

99% of the plugin will unzip into a folder.

e.g.

joesixpackplugin.zip

would unzip to

/joesixpack
    and all the necessary folders and file sare in it.

then use filezilla or some transfer program to transfer files.

then you look on your forum site and put it in the plugins folder.

/plugins/joesixpack

then enable plugin in dashboard.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    there are numerous ways to do it.

one way is to go to download page.

download plugin.

unzip it.

use filezilla or some program like that and put it in your plugins folder.

99% of the plugin will unzip into a folder.

e.g.

joesixpackplugin.zip

would unzip to

/joesixpack
    and all the necessary folders and file sare in it.

then use filezilla or some transfer program to transfer files.

then you look on your forum site and put it in the plugins folder.

/plugins/joesixpack

then enable plugin in dashboard.

Fantastic - thanks so much for the guidance will try it out and this will be much better.

Will PM you now...

• Will PM you now...

ok. I've go to go now, and I'm sigining off but will be back in less than 12 hours.

• @peregrine said:
    ok. I've go to go now, and I'm sigining off but will be back in less than 12 hours.

That's fine just PM'd you and speak later

• I referred you to some other developers.