Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Customizing the ExtraPage

Hi

I was wondering how to create a custom extra page to put as my front page using the ExtraPage plugin.

Right now, I'm using the plugin to direct visitors to a pretty minimal front page with "Page Not Found" warning, but it still has the Vanilla Forums logo and an inactive link to discussions. I want to make it so visitors don't see that, as I don't want anyone knowing I'm working on a forum. I would like to put a super minimal custom extra page in place of that, if possible.

Basically trying to do this (using the ExtraPage plugin): http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27258/how-to-hide-entire-forum

I have set the route to DefaultController - ExtraPageA$1 - Temporary 302

I'm a newbie, so apologies in advance if this is a very basic question. I'm using Vanilla 2.1.6

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• you are going to have to show mock up screenshots. I have no idea even with your explanation what you are trying to achieve.

perhaps someone else can grok it. and perhaps a different plugin is in order.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

ok, the route you set is wrong it needs to be internal not 302

Then you need to hide any parts that appear like the menu etc. If all you want is a blank page

Then make the community private.

• Sorry it wasn't clear.

I'm just trying to do the same thing as the guy at that link I included. And I'm trying to do it as vrijvlinder suggested: "...use the Extrapage plugin and create an intro or whatever then make that page the landing page. Then make it so guests can't view anything in the roles and permissions and they get redirected to sign in."

Basically, I'm asking how do I make the intro page that is suggested.

• V can explain that.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you, vrijvlinder, can that be done through the dashboard?

P.S. I made a small donation when I downloaded the plugin.

No the page is made by hand use the sample extra page in the views folder of the plugin as a guide.

Thanks for the donation any little bit helps.

edited December 2014

create a new file called extrapage.php in the views folder of the plugin

add this to it

<?php if(!defined('APPLICATION')) die();

// $this->AddCssFile('exp.css', 'plugins/Extrapage');?>

<h1><?php echo T('Title of Page'); ?></h1>

//all your html goes bellow 

Make the route like this

DefaultController ExtraPageA$1 Internal

• OK, I'll give it a try, thanks. And will this hide the menus (and other parts) as you suggested above, or is that a different setting?

• @DMart said:
    Thank you, vrijvlinder, can that be done through the dashboard?

P.S. I made a small donation when I downloaded the plugin.

thanks for the donation.

did you get it solved?

And will this hide the menus (and other parts) as you suggested above, or is that a different setting?

You can hide it using CSS by adding this to the css file for the plugin

#Panel,#Menu,#Head,#Foot,#Content{
    display:none!important;
    }

You can also use php to unset all the Assets but that will take me a while to make, maybe @peregrine can make the array code to unset all of the assets from the Extrapage. Coz CSS is only cosmetic and if the want they can unhide and see.

But unsetting all the assets stops them from loading.

• I think you want this.

• @peregrine said:
    I think you want this.

Yes, I have that set already.

V- will the new extrapage I've created show up in drop down when it's added? I don't see it.

I really appreciate your help, I think this might be a little over my head. Probably should call my designer friend in the morning...

• and this if you don't want panel.

$Configuration['Plugins']['ExtraPage']['WithPanel'] = FALSE;

and set all roles but admin with...

if you don't want them to see discussions.

• do you have a link to your site.

edited December 2014

My version of this plugin is an old version before complexity was required.... peregrine will set you up.

• as long as the route is correct.

you don't want the $1

• link to site plz!!!!!

• @DMart

I'll hang out for 10 more minutes if you want help.

but I need a link and more info.

• Sorry, I was trying a few of the suggestions. Is it ok if I private msg it to you?