Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Separate box refresh and online time settings

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband AfficionadoCole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Suggestion: it would be nice to be able to have separate settings for how often the Online Now box refreshes itself and the threshold for considering a user 'online'. E.g., I'd like to have the box update every 20 or 30 seconds, but I'd like it to show everybody who's done stuff in the last 20 minutes, say.

I'm implementing this by stupidly hard-coding it for now, and hoping to get time to do it properly with a dashboard setting. Just thought I'd let you know :)

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Actually the best setting is 60 and that is from my own experience. The user needs to actually do something to register as online. It will show who is online only if they are online. Once they log out that is it. The idea here is to be accurate. But these plugins are not accurate because of page catching giving the impression the person is still online or vice versa.

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I guess if it's much longer than 60 seconds you'd have to call it "who's recently been online" ;) Thanks for that, very helpful!

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yea and it can lead to fighting over " I was online and you were too" " No I logged out an hour ago", "Well it looks like you are still online !! liar !!" the end

• Options

never mind the invisible people who are online. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.