Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

In the spirit of the spirit of last minute development

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited December 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Made you this simple icon , but will make anything you want

• thanks V. added it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Cool idea. Especially for market place categories... But i could also imagine it in forums where discussions are kinda used like a groups or questions feature (light versions of it ;) ). The topic creating user could write "Group: Yamaha Motorcycle Freaks Japan" or "Question: Yamaha in Japan" and two small group marker would get added highlighting to tell everyone else it's a [Group] [Yamaha] [Japan] or [Question] [Japan].

I like simple visibility concepts. Any more ideas how to use it?
    There might be dozens that add visibility and so helpful discussion differentiation.

I'll take some thoughts how to use it.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Look at Craigs List http://newyork.craigslist.org

Notice the categories and subcategories and markings per kind

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@vrijvlinder said:
    Made you this simple icon , but will make anything you want

ok make me healthy, wealthy and wise, but a hermit on a remote island with no internet access. The island should be troll free as well, and fairly comfortable and a good garden.

edited January 2015

@peregrine said:
    no internet access.

No. Because it is my life line to you :D

It is my philosophy that once you make your dreams come true , you die soon after. So it is best to live in suspense than to die quickly without enjoying your goals.

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

It is my philosophy that once you make your dreams come true , you die soon after

It means: if you realise one of your dreams, quickly start dreaming again, otherwise live is over ;)

@peregrine: very useful plugin!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@jackmaessen said:
    It means: if you realise one of your dreams, quickly start dreaming again, otherwise live is over ;)

I saw the indicator that you posted here Jack (and I thought oh no, a feature request :wink: , only to find out you had some insightful philosopy. A pleasant surprise.

• Very nice.

• @Anonymoose said:
    Very nice.

another surprise. it conforms to moose standards.

• I have an addition I could add that jumps from one label to the next label with the same wording.

in other words if you click "For Sale" in one discussion on the discussion topics, it jumps to the next "For Sale" discussion, if it exists on the same web page.

not sure if it would be useful. but I could add it if someone uses the plugin on their site and wants it.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@peregrine said:
    I have an addition I could add that jumps from one label to the next label with the same wording.

in other words if you click "For Sale" in one discussion on the discussion topics, it jumps to the next "For Sale" discussion, if it exists on the same web page.

not sure if it would be useful. but I could add it if someone uses the plugin on their site and wants it.

Please release that addition into the wild. When I first installed the plugin, I tried clicking on the label, and got nowhere. I guess we are now accustomed to click on things that have some kind of highlight, instead of just button shape. Blame flat interfaces.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:
    Please release that addition into the wild. When I first installed the plugin, I tried clicking on the label, and got nowhere. I guess we are now accustomed to click on things that have some kind of highlight, instead of just button shape. Blame flat interfaces.

version 1.2

added a click setting.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/discussionmarker-plugin

edited January 2015

Very good, but only scrolls to items on same page, or up the page if no more underneath.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:
    Very good, but only scrolls to items on same page, or up the page if no more underneath.

exactly how I designed it. you've nailed it.

it is not tagging. it is a convenience marker without the need for database storage of marker.

purely jquery and cosmetic based on discussion title.

in the same manner this plugin works.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/datejumper-plugin

edited January 2015

I spent some time clicking on them and watching the page go up and down.

I also noticed there is now javascript in the plugin, where there was none before.

• @Anonymoose said:
    I spent some time clicking on them and watching the page go up and down.

that is how I spend my time as well when not answering questions. It's a fun way to spend your time :)

I also noticed there is now javascript in the plugin, where there was none before.

you are a brilliant moose.

edited January 2015

But the .js only loads if you clickabilize it. This is better than expected. Extra javascript is always hard to digest.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:
    But the .js only loads if you clickabilize it. This is better than expected.

did you have a mooose - asm?

one can't ask for a moose to have a better than expected experience.

edited January 2015

@peregrine said:
    did you have a mooose

I had to moose out loud when I saw that in the code.