Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Comments not posting in 2.1.5 (empty space)

Hello everyone - I hope you had a safe and enjoyable holidays, and are eager to dive into the New Year towards great success and enlightenment!

Two of the members of my forum are having a strange problem: when they attempt to post their comment, all that ends up posting is blank space. When I look at the HTML of the comment, all it shows is a single
tag. This also happens sometimes when they're trying to post a new thread; however, by bolding their entire post, it suddenly works again and shows up as expected (only bolded).

Is there anything I could do to solve this problem? I've tried getting them to use different browsers, emptying the cache, and everything, but to no avail. Any help or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time and responses.

Comments

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Are they posting Emojis or other Unicode Plane 2 text in their messages? Some special characters cause the remainder of the message to disappear.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@MrCanadian said:

Is there anything I could do to solve this problem?

Thank you kindly for your time and responses.

yes post your config.php (make sure to remove sensitive info like passwords, emails, key info , etc.)

all it shows is a single tag.

and what is that tag.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

try to schedule a time with users and try changing to buttonbar plugin and without cleditor or any other editor plugin and see if they have issue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@Anonymoose said:
    Are they posting Emojis or other Unicode Plane 2 text in their messages? Some special characters cause the remainder of the message to disappear.

Just straight text right into the box from what I've observed. Something seems to be eating it between the time they hit the "post" button and the time it posts.

• Options

Sorry, I included the tag but then this forum interpreted it as actual HTML and left a strange hard return in my paragraph - what I meant to say is that when they post a comment, everything is blank except for a single < br > tag.

I'll give the varying bars a try. It's curious as to why it's only them and no one else, but it's a mystery I'm unable to solve.

Update: When they first hit "save draft", and then hit "post", the comment appears without a problem, it has been discovered.