HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

About Activity data - How to get rid of it completely, if you really want

businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
edited January 2014 in Feedback

Since this topic seem to come out regularly, I decided to share a "brute force" idea. If you would really like to get rid of Activity logging completely, i.e. no activity logged whatsoever, without touching the Core code, simply change the engine for Gdn_Activity table to BLACKHOLE. Table will still exist, but nothing will be saved to it (existing data will be deleted). Every SELECT will return zero rows, and every DM statement will do nothing.

Important: I didn't test this method extensively, use it at your risk.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

Interesting. I wonder if utility structure will set it back, if it will affect an update.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

That could be handy on a site where people post mostly gibberish ?

I would prefer to have more settings to control what others see and what I want or don't ant to see as far as activity. Maybe no activity is the best we can do atm.

For example:

I do not want to see a specific user or their posts and activity effectively making them invisible to me. So I simply send that user into a black hole and never need to see anything from them again... theoretically .

To be able to block a user and their content. This way everyone else who wants to be entertained by the user can still see their stuff, but I can choose not to.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    That could be handy on a site where people post mostly gibberish ?

I would prefer to have more settings to control what others see and what I want or don't ant to see as far as activity. Maybe no activity is the best we can do atm.

For example:

I do not want to see a specific user or their posts and activity effectively making them invisible to me. So I simply send that user into a black hole and never need to see anything from them again... theoretically .

To be able to block a user and their content. This way everyone else who wants to be entertained by the user can still see their stuff, but I can choose not to.

you mean on this forum. maybe they will add the existing ignore or ignore user plugin to be used in this vanilla forum. Meanwhile I just have to visually ignore.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

yes of course , any forum where I have to see things that I do not want to. Since this forum I frequent the most, (hell who am I kidding I freaking live here.....) That would be a handy feature.

In fact it could be called "Talk to the Hand "

yes I even have a concept prototype icon ;)

@peregrine said:Meanwhile I just have to visually ignore.

if I was a blubot maybe I could :

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

OMG! Now I will have to torture my brain just to invent a plugin that could make use of that little unlucky guy!

• @R_J said:
    OMG! Now I will have to torture my brain just to invent a plugin that could make use of that little unlucky guy!

just change http://vanillaforums.org/addon/shwaipbot-plugin to look for

"I'm disappointed" in a message

and @minion could post the image in empathy.

• nice one. BUNGHOLE is exactly what I think of most of the activity.

grep is your friend.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
    edited January 2014

I removed all links to my forum's activity page ages ago. The only aspect of Vanilla's activity system I like is profile commenting, which my users are also fond of.

Cool to know, though!

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

alter table Gdn_Activity engine = blackhole;

Could be a nice no activity plugin.

edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:
    alter table Gdn_Activity engine = blackhole;

alter table GDN_Activity engine = blackhole;

Need caps.

• Personaly I recommend pruning activity. Activity is useful but only very near to the time it is inserted.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/196086/#Comment_196086

grep is your friend.

edited January 2015

@x00 said:
    Personaly I recommend pruning activity. Activity is useful but only very near to the time it is inserted.

When you say, useful, you mean useful to the user, the administrator, or for dependencies?

• Prety much yes. It sort of doubles as a queue.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    Prety much yes. It sort of doubles as a queue.

So to go back, what was the engine? InnoDB?