HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

GREETINGS, new to Vanilla, and I need a little guidance

Hi,

I am still searching the archives and wanted to put this out there while searching:

I am looking to host a simple private forum. Vanilla looks good for this. I would like (at some point down the road) move from simple paypal donations to an actual subscription that keeps an eye on users and permits login if they've paid their annual fee.

I don't have a preference on the fee source (paypal or cc would be fine--probably just paypal to start).

Can someone point to the add-ons that would permit this.

I haven't selected a hosting provider though I am considering Mochahost for their rates, and the simplicity of my project.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

This seems to be what you will need: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/purchasepremiumroles-plugin

• Options

Yes you can use that plugin with market place.

I recommend avoiding paypal, unless you like hair pulling.

Recommend Stripe with that.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

As a slightly-unrelated question:

I've only ever used vBulletin. Is Vanilla a fairly user-friendly thing to operate?

I've got action script and some objective C experience. I learn quickly, so I suppose I'm looking for the "curve" involved.

• Options

So if you can do those you should have no problem learning php. As always search for good books/tutorials.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You'll fall very quick in love with Vanilla! I'd say it's the choice for people who like to customize their board with their own coding ideas. Just look at some of the plugins to see how easy things can be achieved. Vanillas source code is very well readable and as soon as you understood where you have to search, you'll find all answers in the code (or in this very helpful and responsive community).

• Options

am in love with vanilla already

• Options

looking forward to this then. thanks folks. :)