Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Private discussion thread - only viewable by thread author & admin

fergienzfergienz New
edited February 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi.

I run a coaching website and I want to setup my forum so clients can go on and 'journal' their progress. I don't want this to be viewable by other users of the forum.

I've setup a catergory named "journals" and ideally, I'd like it so that any discussions that are started in that catergory are kept private - so that only the author and myself (as admin) can view it.

Is this possible? i've been searching for a while and I can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I guess it's not possible:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27219/view-only-ones-threads
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/223991/#Comment_223991

But I'm quite sure it could be achieved nevertheless. It should be able to hook into DiscussionModel_BeforeGet and filter out every discussion that has Category xy and is not from Session User.
    You still cannot be sure that some plugin exposes the content of such a discussion. Maybe the view rights for that category could be generally removed and only granted in the scope of this plugin, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Start to right your own plugin for that and you'll find help!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I've deleted the duplicate discussion. Please only post questions once.

• This is a different functionality to what a discussion is.

However the way I would do this, is have a category permission assign to moderator/admin.

Then create special type of permission, which provides the "own user" capability, in a separate discussion list. This way there is no possibility of it being exposed accidentally. There is a fair bit to sort out.

If you are looking for a paid solution PM me.

grep is your friend.

• Hi.

Thanks for your reponses. Sorry for the duplicate thread - I wasn't to sure if the 2.0 catergory was still used.

Ok this all sounds very complex.

I could setup another forum to use for this but that seems a bit silly, and I don't really want to use the conversation method, as some posts are more for the client themself (ie, do jot down ideas, or to post things that may need reviewing in time). I just want to be able to check in on the thread every week or two, and don't really want to be flooded with PM's!

How much does it cost to build a plugin?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@fergienz: Write to x00 with a PM and lay out all the functionalities you need. He'd come up with a price... and think about OSing if possible for you two. I do that with plugins i contracted a developer also. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Thanks @phreak, I will do that

• I'd like to do the same thing, is there any update on this? I could contribute a few $ too

• rasteronrasteron forum.rastercode.com ✭✭

hi @kn8 already sent you a PM..