HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Great plugin!

Thanks for making this @vrijvlinder. Especially here in Europe, it is obliged to give this message for owners of websites that store personal information. (Decision of European Union in Brussels)

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You are very Welcome !!

Ik ben blij dat het nuttig is om iemand :)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Just take a look at the demo side, @vrijvlinder, and I've never seen such an informative cookie message like yours. It makes reading a standard note interesting!

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

I hope European Cookie Legislation is quashed TBH. Bad legislation by a committee of clueless octogenarian bureaucrats, completely missing the real privacy issues online, which are not covered by this in any way, nor did anyone vote for this.

You don't need cookies, or client references, to track people anyway. And only a moron put personal information, actually in a cookie.

The body responsible for enforcing this in UK doesn't even follow their own rules. Compliance isn't scalable anyway, so I think it will be out before time.

Also it backwards. It is the browser that give you the power to control what information is stored. Why not put the onus on the browser companies to properly educate people? Instead of requiring law-abiding sites to scaremonger, and not educating in anyway.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

If you are in the UK, I recommend just putting a link in the sidebar, and one sentence. No need for a popup or a banner.

wonder which member countries are actually bothering enforcing this? I heard few have even got a body to enforce this. It is funny the countries that are most enthusiastic about these law often are not enforcing them, then countries that never asked for them are expected to enforce them.

European Federalism is not federalism becuase centralism is the opposite of federalism.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Informing someone that he is tracked on your page after his data has already been stored is ridiculously useless without question.
    But to my opinion it comes with a nice side effect: people get conscious about the bulky use of surveillance and that it is obviously something you have to excuse for if you do so. I hope it can change the mind set and if it does only a little bit it would be some kind of a success.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

That is assuming that the that vast majority are cookies are there for surveillance, which is actually not the case. Cookies are actually fairly moot in surveillance.

Sure they are tracking cookies and artefact, but they are usually done across sites, not simply within them. Most genuine analytic, is information their device or they has made public. Getting sites to put up a notice isn't going to protect their privacy, they have learn how to protect their information.

You don't need cookies to track people, I said it again. You needn’t initiate storage of anything on their computer to track their behaviours. The cookie legislation doesn't really apply the unscrupulous actors, whatever method they use.

It has the side effect once again of not properly informing the public, not giving equal share of the responsibility.

If you have loyalty card to a store. The information doesn't need to stored on the card itself, and it should be clear that obviously they site know about order you have made, becuase you have made them in that store.

It would be more logical if you have need for third party cookies at all, for the third pass to pass that info onto the browser, as they would know best what cookie are used for what.

It make absolutely zero sense to have piece meal popup solution each site, explaining rather badly what the site thinks the cookies are for.

If cookies really have anything to do with personal information at all, especially tracking (which isn't the common usage), why not let the browser inform the users? Since the browser is what allows this information to be stored an referenced?

The irony is people willingly share personal information in the public domain, then act like they didn't.

grep is your friend.

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

Another issue is the cookie popup doing by javascript. Most cookie attenions are based on javascript. You can not oblige that people have javascript enabled on their browsers. If your cookie attention depends on javascript, visitors will not be informed of storing personal information.
    So the only proper way to do it is serverside.

• Like I said there is not reason to have a popup at all. You only need to list the information, on a page, an put a link. You can cover under your privacy policy in fact.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

I think people assume that becuase the install a pluign or some, jQuery plugin, that somehow they are magically complaint.

Compliance is actually often far fetched, and there is no generic solution. Like I said if the enforcers are not even fully compliant they can't expect you to be.

grep is your friend.

I always had a link to cookie info and to privacy policy . I also don't see the need to add a message stating this if you have links to the policies. However the rules state there has to be a cookie consent process. I am sure my plugin is rudimentary but it does the basic job well . The rules require much more information is given to the USER about all the cookies that are used.

http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm

• @vrijvlinder there was an article on how many companies reverted to just using a link, becuase even the body that was enforcing realised that rules were unenforceable, that they couldn't even do it themselves.

Contract lack allows consent under terms. You can inform people on sign up and in the sidebar or footer.

This legislation is a dead as they come.

People have to take some responsibility themselves. next there will be a law that you have to wipe the arse of consumers, becuase they are no longer responsible for it.

grep is your friend.

I agree with you, all the User needs to know is wtf is a cookie to realize it does not contain personal information.

The problem with these rules, is that it makes rating sites downrate you if you don't have these things. I know and you know this is bogus. But rating sites take it seriously. If someone is interested in their ratings, they have no choice but to comply.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

one question do all websites save cookies, if not do you find out?

edited March 2015

Yes, most sites use cookies. Vanilla uses it to track a session.

https://www.ghostery.com/en/download

• This might be some useful information for people who own webpages in Europe: http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm

• Hi there! thanks for the addon...it works just fine.
    Is it possible to change the location and size of the popbox?
    Since I'm just a beginner could you put me in the right direction here?

@javirl86 said:
    Hi there! thanks for the addon...it works just fine.
    Is it possible to change the location and size of the popbox?
    Since I'm just a beginner could you put me in the right direction here?

You change that, you do so by editing the CSS file for the Plugin. To make it show up at the bottom of the page replace these:

#colorbox, #cboxOverlay, #cboxWrapper {
      bottom: 0;
      left: 0;
      z-index: 9;
      overflow: hidden;
    }

#colorbox {
    outline: 0;
    bottom: 0!important;
    height:200px!important;
    background: #000;
    }