Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Setup and Mysql remote databases.

I may be missing something simple here but does vanilla support a remote mysql database out of the box?

When progressing through the setup page I get the error:
SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'vanillaUser'@'localserver' (using password: YES)

But the database host field has the remote database's name in it, why is it still attempting to connect to a local instance? I have attempted using both the Private IP and Hostname, the setup script doesn't seem to want to use the database host field. I assume the next step is to try and build the config or ini file from scratch or modify the setup process but I figure there wouldn't be a database host field unless it was actually used. Any advice?

Tagged:

Comments

• And I am an idiot. Checked the privs on the mysql user for vanilla on the remote DB. Someone had changed them during my install, remote connectivity was disabled for that user. I am good to go!

• Jonathan WJonathan W Scranton, PA

A word of caution when using MySQL remotely: Be sure to lock down your username to the specific IP it will be connecting from. If you allow connections from all remote hosts, you welcome vulnerability. Not that IP-based security is infallible, but its something.

• @Jonathan W said:
    A word of caution when using MySQL remotely: Be sure to lock down your username to the specific IP it will be connecting from. If you allow connections from all remote hosts, you welcome vulnerability. Not that IP-based security is infallible, but its something.

I totally agree, and good point. I actually have a private network (each device has two IPs). Database communication occurs on the private network.