Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Vanilla Setup and Mysql remote databases.

I may be missing something simple here but does vanilla support a remote mysql database out of the box?

When progressing through the setup page I get the error:
SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'vanillaUser'@'localserver' (using password: YES)

But the database host field has the remote database's name in it, why is it still attempting to connect to a local instance? I have attempted using both the Private IP and Hostname, the setup script doesn't seem to want to use the database host field. I assume the next step is to try and build the config or ini file from scratch or modify the setup process but I figure there wouldn't be a database host field unless it was actually used. Any advice?

Tagged:

Comments

• And I am an idiot. Checked the privs on the mysql user for vanilla on the remote DB. Someone had changed them during my install, remote connectivity was disabled for that user. I am good to go!

hgtonight
  • Jonathan WJonathan W Scranton, PA

A word of caution when using MySQL remotely: Be sure to lock down your username to the specific IP it will be connecting from. If you allow connections from all remote hosts, you welcome vulnerability. Not that IP-based security is infallible, but its something.

hgtonightjavajars
  • @Jonathan W said:
    A word of caution when using MySQL remotely: Be sure to lock down your username to the specific IP it will be connecting from. If you allow connections from all remote hosts, you welcome vulnerability. Not that IP-based security is infallible, but its something.

I totally agree, and good point. I actually have a private network (each device has two IPs). Database communication occurs on the private network.