Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

So this is the thread...

Comments

• first blink + marquee!
  • first user name change!
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited February 2005
    commence attack one!

The page is too stupid

The page you are looking for is currently too stupid. The Web site might be experiencing idiot writers, or you may need to adjust your browser settings to accept more retarded objects.

Please try the following:

• Click the refresh Refresh button, or begin drinking heavily. After enough shots, SOMETHING will appear.
    • If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly. If you are an AOL user, make sure you did not accidentally type your street address in the bar.
    • To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. However, since you're running Windows, there's absolutely jack shit of a chance that you'll resolve anything. Ever.
    • If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings. If you actually have a Network Administrator who has enabled it, please raise your hand. Yeah, that's what we thought.
      If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
      click Detect Settings Detect Network Settings This will do absolutely nothing and will resolve no problems whatsoever.
    • Some sites require 128-bit stupidity. In the case of Something Awful, a patch will be shortly available which makes 256-bit stupidity possible. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength stupidity you have installed.
    • If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. Change whatever you want; people will find a way to steal your credit card number regardless.
    • Click the image Back button to try another link. Yes, lets go with that. Try another link.

Cannot find Intelligence
    Internet Explorer
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2005
    Okay, lech, this is not a bug. The browser did exactly what it is supposed to do. I grant flexibility on *my* forum to use div tags and the style property because I like to grant my users the flexibility to make their comments appear however they want. If someone posted something like that on any of *my* boards, I'd revoke that user's rights to post html in comments. Since this is a debugging site, and you didn't really know any better, of course I'm not going to do that (instead I just made your comment display as plain text).

But it's a good thing you did this so that other people can understand why this is allowed. I have, however, also designed the forum to allow administrators to limit the tags and properties that users can enter. So, if someone downloaded this product and didn't want people to be able to do what you just did, they'd just have to take "div" out of the allowabletags and "Style" out of the allowable properties.

That feature is rather new (I just programmed it on Friday and have been working on tweaking it all weekend) so it is not yet in the documentation, but I will be adding it as soon as I have the time.

Carry on :)
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    well, it is good to know that filter works :)
  • This thread needs a fucking health warning attached to it.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    hahaha!
  • Text-only mode saves the day :p
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited February 2006
    Hmm
  • Sorry guys I spoilt the fun by starting page 2. Gotta whole new crazy layout going on now....
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    I broke things good...
  • Sweet Jesus.
  • edited April 2007
    #Comments * { position: relative; z-index: 0; } .CommentBody { z-index: -1; overflow: hidden; }

(Foiling both Jazzman AND y2kbg by finding an ancient bug in an even older discussion--and fixing it!)
  • edited April 2007
    Fixing it? It still looks horrible to me! Yay for text-only mode, and keyboard navigation though (although I guess I could have gone back to Discussions and disabled it from there). :)
  • That was crazy... and disappointing at the same time.

But then, if you allow Html, what can you expect?
  • OK, perhaps I should have said 'posted a fix'.

At least in Firefox, that code forces the offending post to stay in its own container... though I suppose there is still nothing preventing someone from putting a higher z-index in their code.
  • Oh, sorry, yeah, you're right. Applying that CSS makes everything better again (in Opera as well). :)
  • Page one is crazy mad =D

I don't suppose there's any chance of having a nice GUI for dis/allowing specific HTML tags in the HtmlFormatter extension is there?
  • The problem isn't really tags, it's allowing (or indeed disallowing) the use of styles. I don't think you'd necessarily need a div tag to do that, I'm sure you could do the same with an image, or a span, wouldn't surprise me if i/u/b/em/strong/etc would be modifyable enough to do it as well. And by "it" I mean just getting something to cover everything else.
This discussion has been closed.