Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum registration conversion tracking with Google AdWords

I'm trying to add a tracking code to the email confirmation page that users see after registering and confirming their email address. My idea was to update my locale file and add the code after this text: "Your email has been successfully confirmed."

I downloaded the baseline locale and couldn't find this included. Any suggestions on doing this or other ways of adding a tracking code to just this page?

Thanks!

Comments

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

It's a rough solution, but putting it in you conf/locale.php should work:

$Definition['Your email has been successfully confirmed.'] = 'Your email has been successfully confirmed. TRACKING CODE' 

• plr15plr15 New
    edited June 2015

Thanks! Seemed a little wonky, but it was a solution within my current Vanilla knowledge =)

• Never thought about that.

Care to share how you are monetizing the forum? Ads?

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2015

The locale does not need to be modified, you can just add the Adwords conversion code to the footer (with pockets) and create a goal in your Google Analytics for landing page "/entry/emailconfirm/"

As for monetizing your community, check out our handy guide: http://pages.vanillaforums.com/monetize-money-community-forum

• Oh great, did not know about that Pockets addon :) Thanks :)

• @Adrian said:
    The locale does not need to be modified, you can just add the Adwords conversion code to the footer (with pockets) and create a goal in your Google Analytics for landing page "/entry/emailconfirm/"

Does the pocket not have to be only on the /entry/emailconfirm/? Won't AdWords track every time it's loaded?

@kamaleon said:
    Never thought about that.

Care to share how you are monetizing the forum? Ads?

Still working on that! We cross-promote other sites we own that generate revenue. I'm sure @Adrian's guide is more helpful here than I am.

@plr15 It will only track users coming from your site from your Adwords. So it should only fire a conversion for those visitors who come from your ads.

You can also use conditionals with pockets in your template if you wanted code on specific pages. I just wanted to mention there is always another way to do it and by using pockets you avoid issues with your code not firing for mobile users. If you make template changes to a desktop theme it will not carry over to those precious mobile users (which can in some cases be over 40%) if the mobile theme also does not get modified.

Also by doing it across your site you have the option for remarketing with Google Adwords...

• @plr15 said:
    Does the pocket not have to be only on the /entry/emailconfirm/? Won't AdWords track every time it's loaded?

What you should use is google tag manager, it is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8fA0ckBdw

Adrian's guide is mostly about ads in the forum...

edited June 2015

@kamaleon pockets can be used like a tag manager, but yeah Google tag manager is great and works well with pockets ;)

As to the guide, it's more than ads, keep reading :p

• Hahaha, yeah they mention memberships too and events... :)

I have in mind the membership thing :)

edited June 2015

I was always successful with sponsorship. I once had an advertiser who paid me 2000 usd a month for exclusivity (it was a great time). It really depends on your niche and what you think make most sense. Membership in the wrong community can be an epic fail... It all gets back to value :) I wish you good luck

• Sorry but what does sponsorship mean in forums? It is not the same as ads?

@kamaleon, this is where you find a partner in your niche and they sponsor the community. This could be by ads (normally) or maybe a special category or giveaways. Essentially they have exclusivity on your community around their subject matter but not editorial controls. In my case I ran a fast food forum for many years with a fast food chain being the main sponsor.

• Amazing.

Never thought a fast food forum would work.

edited June 2015

I had it as a blog integrating with Vanilla Comments. It was related to fast food and reviews. There are a couple of players in the space. I just didn't have time to put into it anymore -- that and the health craze made it hard to keep up :p