Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FeedDiscussion and Magpie Feeds (as updated) fail in 2.1.11

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

Both discussion populating plugin fail for different reasons. I mention Magpie feeds only because @vrijvlinder provided an updated version in this discussion (vanillaforums.org/discussion/29819/feeddiscussions-not-displaying-feeds-in-forum-discussion#latest) which reports different issues (which are resolved by now).

So here is what's I experience with FeedDiscussion: It does not import correctly feeds that originate from YouTube RSS (I guess it has to do with media content). Here is my feed: panel2.feed.informer.com/digests/ADMVGEABRL/feeder.rss

As a side note, I also observed that it conflicts with the polls plugins (imported discussions have their poll flag turned on).

It is important to note that the modified Magpie Feeds plugin (as modified by @vrijvlinder in the above mentioned discussion) imports the feeds correctly (which proves that there is nothing wrong with the feed). It however imports it into the wrong category (ignoring the category number indicated in the settings).

I'd appreciate a solution - anything that correctly populates feeds. ** We're trying to start a new closed forum with Vanilla and need to seed it with material we'll grab from RSS feeds.**

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes, the category issue for Magpie Feeds is a problem. I did try to add the categories like feed discussions does but it did not work. The problem being that categories are identified by an ID number and not the Name. You can move the discussions to the correct category after import by selecting them and then move to the category you want. Then erase them from the wrong category.

Or you can enter the right Category ID in the code of the plugin by hand. I know it is not the best method. But at least it works for me. It serves as discussions filler when you start a new forum and need content fast.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    ... Or you can enter the right Category ID in the code of the plugin by hand. I know it is not the best method. But at least it works for me. It serves as discussions filler when you start a new forum and need content fast.

Sorry @vrijvlinde, but I did enter the right category number. It still uploads it to category number 1 (and BTW, the system user have permission to all categories so that's not the problem).

I am more frustrated that Magpie Feeds solves half the the problem (it supports the Youtube feeds I need) and the FeedDiscussion solves the other half (it imports to the right category and even uses the name rather than the ID). I wish the two developers would work together to give us a single working solution...

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2015

You did not understand what I said...

You can manually add the category in the plugin code for it to be posted in that category, there are several places this has to be in. The dashboard part of it is irrelevant when it comes to category or user. Yes it saves it in the feed list the user and category but that is about it. In other words, the only thing that works from the dashboard is to post feeds, but choosing a category from the dashboard does not work , you must add the category number in the plugin code. You must make sure that is a real category number. Because it is not the order of the categories which gives you the number, it is in the order that you created them.

I tried and tried to get it all to work, but only succeeded in making it post the feeds in the discussions. Then I selected them and moved them to the proper category.