Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Articles: Making Categories and Making New Articles

edited July 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

V 2.1.11 Vanilla, PHP 5.4, Baseline Theme

I just installed articles app. At its start it prompted me to make my first article. I did. There were no categories but "Uncategorized'. I published the article.

Now I can't figure out how I, or other users, might make a new article, again. Nor can I see where article categories are created or managed.

What am I missing?

Comments

• V 2.1.11 Vanilla, PHP 5.4, Baseline Theme

• edited July 2015

I found how to make new article:

Articles>Articles Dashboard>New Article

And article categories are managed only through new section on left margin of dashboard. Settings for Articles are accessed there and at Enable button in Applications.

• edited July 2015

I figured it all out. Sorry for the bother. I am missing sleep.

• It is a bit unclear on how users can get started with using the application after it is enabled. "My First Article!" is just an example article that gets posted when the application is enabled for the first time ever, but it will be updated to have more helpful text in the future. Most applications work similarly in that they add links to the admin dashboard to configure an application.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Oh no big deal. It is easy enough if you just click around a bit. A simple screen shot in a FAQ will get us by until that routine is refined, as you say. It might be something which can be solved by adding some new user nomenclature to the steps in the process.

BTW, just had pleasure of presenting my forum to someone. He said what he needed was ability to post a calendar to web. So right there I made a blank calendar on my desktop, added an event, took a screen shot, started a new Article called "calendar", slapped my screen shot into that new article, and published. I then copied the URL into an e-mail and sent it to him. So within about one minute of work he had a calendar on the web linked to him in his e-mail box.