Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Soooo, do Microsoft desigers get paid per gradient?

edited March 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
msn beta

My head is spinning, it looks horrible imo.

(for those who don't know, it's the newest beta of Microsoft Messenger, it's not my window either, I don't have a PC)

Comments

• haha. There is a lot of gradients going on there. I think windows users just get used to it.
  • Win users have been beaten into submission for long enough that they will just accept anything.
  • Windows "Live" Messenger — ha
  • edited February 2006
    To be honest, compared to the last version, that's a significant improvement.

• lechlech Chicagoland
    /me wanders off to barf in technicolor
  • I think they are trying to go for the Apple Aqua look but either they are trying it way too much or they are afraid that if they do it too much people are going to forget the difference between Winnie and Mac and migrate :D
  • gigingergiginger New
    edited March 2006
    Mine doesn't look like that.... Unless the update I'm downloading is going to change that.

EDIT: Yep, they changed the look. I actually liked the look before this update.
  • uuh... "This video has been removed by the user."
  • It was pretty dumb, anyway.
  • It was the greatest video ever made!
  • Not even close.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    It made me chuckle, it was rather entertaining.
  • LoOkOuTLoOkOuT
    edited March 2006
    I laffed, too. Bravo! *hic*
  • edited March 2006
    Yeah, because as we all know, Microsoft is incapable of packaging consumer hardware attractively. Shrinkwrap software is branded differently than consumer hardware. Even Microsoft's software boxes have tended to be pretty minimalistic lately.

But who the fuck cares about that stuff when I can toss cliched cheap shots on YouTube for a laugh?

There are plenty of things we should be criticising Microsoft for, but "bad box design" isn't one of them.
  • Bad box design...

I think Adobe takes the cake ... followed up closely with some of Apples recent software boxshots.
  • Whoa, Bergie has a soft spot *teehee* Lighten up dude, nobody is bashing MS, it's all just fun and games.
  • I found the xbox360 design/advertising and branding in general to overall pretty poor, you can see what they were trying to do but it just didn't get there. I mean the thing has 3 logos for starters the name is stupid because is says "more of the same" as a 360 degree spin is facing where the xbox 1 was in the first place. The adverts were shoddy I mean you had the Spaced gunfight ripoff and that really irritating one where the geek growls at the monster. And the box is nothing special its going for a bit of minimalism but I'm afraid if you don't have the skill to back up that approach it just doesn't grab you. The office box you chose does look quite nice though, I mean at least it tries to pretend that microsoft office isn't the wrist slit fiesta that we all know it is.
  • Gradients can be quite effective if used correctly.
  • I believe this falls under the ineffective catagory.
This discussion has been closed.