Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Some of your folders do not have the correct permissions.

Hello I was installing Vanilla Forums and I got a error call 'Some of your folders do not have the correct permissions.' so I did what the error told me and paste each command in my putty.

chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/conf
chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/cache
chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/uploads

After that I click the try again button and all I see now is

chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/conf
chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/cache

I check in FTP and in putty and all the files have the 777 permission like the uploads files but still dose not work I try uploading it again and restarting the VPS OS but it still dose not work dose anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?

I use this page to help me install the software that Vanilla Forums would need
https://www.howtoforge.com/apache_php_mysql_on_centos_7_lamp
If someone could send me a different page that would work with Vanilla Forums I could try that too I don't care if I need to change the OS for that page you might send me.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

re-read your other discussions that you started for clues - on hosting.
    also read a tutorial on linux/unix file permissions and OWNERSHIP user, group and other.
    you could also google "permissions on centos"

also when asking a question in other discussions, if it is solved - answer whether it is solved and state the answer whether it is solved. if your answers are cryptic, don't expect anyhting less. You asked questions here:
    http://vanillaforums.org/profile/discussions/59208/VizionStudios
    Several have been solved, but you haven't looked or posted a solution. Read each discussion over again and see if it was solved or answered, if not , and you know the solution now, post it. You will also find the answer to other questions you asked in this thread.

UPDATED

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    re-read your other discussions that you started for clues.

also when asking a question in other discussions, if it is solved - answer whether it is solved and state the answer whether it is solved. if your answers are cryptic, don't expect anyhting less.

Sorry I forgot I will update the other one but what do you think about this?

• @peregrine said:
    re-read your other discussions that you started for clues - on hosting.
    also read a tutorial on linux/unix file permissions and OWNERSHIP user, group and other.
    you could also google "permissions on centos"

also when asking a question in other discussions, if it is solved - answer whether it is solved and state the answer whether it is solved. if your answers are cryptic, don't expect anyhting less. You asked questions here:
    http://vanillaforums.org/profile/discussions/59208/VizionStudios
    Several have been solved, but you haven't looked or posted a solution. Read each discussion over again and see if it was solved or answered, if not , and you know the solution now, post it. You will also find the answer to other questions you asked in this thread.

UPDATED

Okay I did what you ask can you help me now.

• re-read carefully.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    re-read carefully.

I did but Vanilla forums keep blocking me from typing can you just help me.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

who is the owner of the folders. who is the group owner of the folders.

post a screen shot of the owners.

who is the run user and run group of your apache process.

google how to find out.

this is not a vanilla forum question. this is a server administration and comprehension of file permissions, owners, and groups and perhaps centos specific.

x00 alread told you what you could do if you had problems with centos in other discussion about hosts.

or Ask your host.

this may give you insights, but don't follow it blindly.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/82309/centos-issue-with-write-permissions

• @peregrine said:
    who is the owner of the folders. who is the group owner of the folders.

post a screen shot of the owners.

who is the run user and run group of your apache process.

google how to find out.

this is not a vanilla forum question. this is a server administration and comprehension of file permissions, owners, and groups and perhaps centos specific.

x00 alread told you what you could do if you had problems with centos in other discussion about hosts.

or Ask your host.

this may give you insights, but don't follow it blindly.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/82309/centos-issue-with-write-permissions

I have full access to the VPS are you talking about the host host like Ovh.com?

• I gave you suggestions. other people gave you suggestions. you read one sentence out of the answer and ignore the rest.

I don't know without looking at your server, and you don't know without looking at your server.

re-read. i think we have language problems. hire a server admin, if you can, your users will be alot more secure.

• but you can create a file called phpinfo.php then execute it from your browser.

with this in the contents. on some version of phpinfo it give the owner and group info.

<?php
    phpinfo();

you could also try

<?php
    system("id");

or possibly
    <?php pass_thru ("whoami"); ?>