Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How do I create like a VIP group?

I want anyone who wants to be a member, be able to; however, I only want some members to be a ble to view a certain category, but I don't want the others to. I don't want to have to make them all moderators or admin, just to hide contents in a certain category. Did vanilla make their own Groups add-on? The only one I saw was from 2011 and was a user created, and everyone said it never worked.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

You have this: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/purchasepremiumroles-plugin
    (Last updated: 12/2014)
    This plugin ned Market Place: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/marketplace-plugin

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Masonh928

Welcome to the community.

You could achieve this without a plugin, using a combination of custom roles for users and custom permissions for categories

• Options

make a secondary role or vip role.
    make the "vip category" with custom permissions.
    give the "vip" role permission to view that category and no others.

there is no functioning groups unless you go with cloud hosting.

you need to do it with roles, and no you don't need to make everyone admin or moderator.

all you need is two different quasi member roles. or a standard member role without ability to view special category, and a vip role that has just the ability to view and post in the vip category.

permissions are additive so you can do either.

option1 member and vip role

so vips can have both member, vip roles for viewing normal cats and vip cat.
    members have member role.

or

option 2 vip or member role

all permissions the same between roles except the category.
    vips have vip role - view and post all categories
    members have member role view and post in certain categories.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Ok thanks, @peregrine and @whu606, sorry @K17, but I don't want a plugin.

• Options

What are the Garden Settings with Roles and Permissions? @peregrine and @whu606?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Masonh928

Via the dashboard, create a new user group.

Then, for the relevant categories, take away member and guest permissions and add the new user group to the permission.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

in addition to what whu606 said.

you will see what we are talking about after you add or edit a category

and choose custom permissions.

X This category has custom permissions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

it worked thanks! ;P