Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Consolidate addon does not work on version 2.1.11

Consolidate addon does not work on version 2.1.11.
It broken the css of "Discussion Marker" addon and does not seem to improve the speed of the forum.
You assistance is needed please.

Comments

• Note that the newest version of DiscussionMarker does not include a CSS file. It reuses the tag style, but users are encouraged to add a style for the .DMarker class that fits their theme e.g. you could still use the old style and add it to your theme.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

When I last looked at your site last year, Prosper, you had so much extra baggage rss feeds, currency exchange, lookups for which country someone came from, etc etc. My guess these will affect the performance more than any consolidation can do for you.

You might test performance removing some bells and whistles that add little to the use of your forum.

shaving micro-seconds off of something isn't noticeable when something takes seconds to load.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine - I have removed all of those widgets, but left only feedjit widget.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2015

Consolidate will only improve speed if the problem is the number of resources being loaded is affecting load times, it will make little difference to the speed of a server, unless static resources are holding up scripting significantly (which would be a bad server configuration).

Static resources can be returned fast from the server as there is no preprocessing needed. Load times are to do with downloading those files and rendering the page in the client.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 - yes the number of resources being loaded is affecting load times. I host with hostgator so I don't expect much issues with server. I need assistance.

• it doesn't matter who you host with, many thing can slow down a server.

if you post a link I can give a diagnosis.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 - this is my link http://www.naijanetwork.com/
    Thank you for your time.

• @mtschris - yes the Google speed score is so poor. 32/100 for mobile and 36/100 for desktop. That is why I need consolidate plugin. Any other plugin to speed up site will be appreciated.

• @Proper as stated before consolidate will not increase the speed of the site itself. It is only related to static resources.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2015

DiscussionMarker only has a tiny style file, and script that is only on with a special configuration option which you don't appear to be using.

As it not on I cannot see what is happening with style, it probably just needs to be ordered.

grep is your friend.

• .DMarker{
        background-color: green;
        color: white;
        margin-left: 5px;
    }

is the style. I notice your theme custom.css in not last, normally it should be last.

Anyway you could simply put the above style in you custom.css assuming that is the only issue.

grep is your friend.

• @x00
    I enabled consolidate plugin. It does not seem to reduce "Total number of requests"
    I analyzed with gtmetrix and found out that it in fact increased the total number of request from 123 to 160.
    Without adding the .DMaker css, the desktop "discussion marker" background color was ok (green) but the mobile discussion maker changes from green color to gray.

• @Prosper

It can't increase the number of files. It can only be less or the same. I think you misunderstanding how this works, it simply combines file it doesn't do anything else to the server.

Again I'm not going not going to argue about it, if I can't see proof it is your issue.

Possibly some static file have browser caching and some don't which is a server misconfiguration. Server management is a learning curve.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. If you have have capacity problem using Consolidate will not make much difference.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2015

if you look here

http://www.naijanetwork.com/cache/Consolidate/plugins_57354c477643ec272a3c6335ffa8a4dc.css

.DMarker {
    }

http://www.naijanetwork.com/cache/Consolidate/themes_7a72ee2e9adaa7062ce96ec7f9d047d2.css

.DMarker {
    }

http://www.naijanetwork.com/cache/Consolidate/themes_7a72ee2e9adaa7062ce96ec7f9d047d2.css

.Tag {
        background: #edeff4 none repeat scroll 0 0;
        border: 1px solid #a1aabc;
        color: #485f8f;
    }

.Tag styling occurs after .DMarker in your mobile theme so due to cascade rules it will not apply. Place it after. Or use a higher specificity e.g .Tag.DMarker

Why you think this has anything to do with performance the mind boggles.

grep is your friend.

• Regarding the function of this plugin it is working as intended.

grep is your friend.

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited September 2015

@x00 - I don't mean that consolidate plugin does not function. My apology for the misunderstanding. I mean't that for my forum, that it seems not to be working due to something peculiar with the forum. Thank you for your time. I have fixed the .Tag issue on the mobile.
    Please does consolidate "Leverage browser caching"? Do you know what code to add on .htaccess to leverage browser caching for vanilla forum?

• Vanilla 2.2 has this added to its .htaccess for caching certain static resources:

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
       <FilesMatch "(?<!embed)\.(css|js|woff|ttf|eot|svg|png|gif|jpeg|jpg|ico|swf)$">
          Header set Cache-Control "max-age=315360000"
          Header set Expires "31 December 2037 23:59:59 GMT"
       </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

You can also compress static resources to reduce bandwith e.g. via:

# Compress
    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
     <FilesMatch "\.(js|css|xml|gz|txt|html)$">
      SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
     </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited September 2015

@mtschirs - Thank you for the code. Most of the pictures on my forum are within the folder /uploads/imageupload/....jpg. png, etc. Can the code you provided above cache the pictures uploaded with imageupload addon? If not, is there another way to cache the pictures?

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited December 2015

@x00 - thank you for the new update.