Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notification for ALL categories for ALL Users

Hi,

I am using Vanillaforum 2.1.11 and wanted my users to be informed of new stuff on the forum; as soon as it is published.
The notification function for categories is great, unfortunately, one has to check the boxes manually which is a problem if you have to deal with non digital natives.

So, my question: is there a possibility to check all the categories by standard and even to check it for existing users?

Thanks.
Dietmar

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

the way advanced notifications work in vanilla 2.1 is writing info from checkboxes of categories to the user meta table.

you may be able to write some code to add to the usermeta table per each user, but there might be a better way than doing it the way vanilla populates the the usermeta table if you are sending to all users for all discussions and comments.

userid name value

12  Preferences.Email.NewDiscussion.15  1
    12  Preferences.Email.NewDiscussion.17  1
    12  Preferences.Email.NewDiscussion.5   1
    12  Preferences.Email.NewDiscussion.6   1
    12  Preferences.Popup.NewComment.13     1
    7   Preferences.Popup.NewComment.14      1

the top line means notify userid 12 by email all new discussions for category 15
    the bottom line mean notify userid 7 by popup of all new comments to category 14

so with the above for each userid there is an entry in the database for each category and new discussion for email

so with the above for each userid there is an entry in the database for each category and new comment for email
    so with the above for each userid there is an entry in the database for each category and new discussion for popups
    so with the above for each userid there is an entry in the database for each category and new comment for popups.

number of entries to add to usermetatable = N categories multipied by N users multiplied by 4 (popup-comment, popup-discussion, email-comment, e-mail-discussion)

there may be a plugin that does something similar. in an active forum with more than a few users your forum would probably slow down to a crawl due to all mail notifications. I would think some mailing list server or mailing digest might be more appropriate.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Hi and thanks for the info ... but this provokes new questions, sorry.

I am no coder ... I looked at the usermeta table and there are only those users stored that have activated the notification; the others not.
    So, can you please tell me which code I can use to include all useres who have not yet opted to receive notification?
    Do you know which Plug-in will do the work?

Kind regards

Dietmar

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

as far as plugin - you would need to look. I don't know off-hand.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I guess, I just found out how to insert the data, but when I do this the user is required to reset his password. Any chance to avoid this?

thx
    Dietmar

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

db2208 said: I guess, I just found out how to insert the data,

what procedure are you doing.

• SQL with Insert etc. a bit pedestrian but it will hopefully work.

the other problem nowness that no notification is sent anyway although new inquiries for admission are sent. I have double- checked the SMTP setting bit they are ok. Is theater any possibility to check it?

CuD

• Hi,

I have just set up Vanilla for a small user group and am in the same boat. I'd love to set defaults for category notifications before the users will register so that I do not have to turn them on manually. Is there a way to change the config accordingly? Thanks!

Best regards,
    Frederik