Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Replacing icon with text

Hello,
I would like to replace these icons with something better.

I would like to possibly move the bookmark button in the same drop down menu, and replace the icon with some text that says something like Post Options or Topic Tools.
Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• you need to adjust css, inspect with web developer tools, and change text via definitions, pretty much the same way you change all themes and wording.

This is a tip. "YOU" need to adjust as you wish.

add to /conf/locale.php or create.
    $Definition['Options'] = "Topic Tools";

in your custom.css

.Item .OptionsTitle {
        background-image: none;
        font-size: 10px ;
        line-height: 11px ;
        visibility: visible;
        margin-right: 40px;
        width: auto;
    }

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale/p1

read the FAQ again.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219925/#Comment_219925

For bookmark I leave to you.

you can add to the Discussion flyout menu

public function Base_DiscussionOptions_Handler($Sender, $Args) {

look at bump plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks for your help so far. I was able to add what you suggested for the topic tools. However, it did not replace that icon. Is there anyway in the CSS i can make it become text instead of an icon?

Thanks.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

You wanted a suggestion, correct!

it did for me. I can't troubleshoot what you did.

All I can say is it worked for me. and provided the suggestions how to learn css and defintions.

There is no cogwheel! It is gone.

the Bookmark icon. I leave for you to deal with as you wish. As i mentioned in my previous thread.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Sorry, it did work. Just had to clear my browser history.
    Thanks.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

good.

• I am still working on adding the bookmark button to the fly out menu. I found the file class.discussionfiltermodule to add it to. Is this the right file i should be editing? I wish i new some more about definitions, but i just cannot come up with one to add bookmarks to the fly out menu.

Thanks.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@ytadvisors said:
    Is this the right file i should be editing?

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:
    are you joking, or have you missed all the discussions regarding modifying the core. :n
    :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:
    if you looked at bump plugin, you wouldn't have asked the question.

I wish i new some more about definitions,

as your advisor, yt, you could become the supreme subject matter expert on definitions if you read this discussion

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale/p1

re-read discussions several times

really bad idea to put bookmark option in flyout. But you asked for it.

Put this in a plugin. and then spend a few weeks studying it, if you need to tweak it for your needs.

public function Base_DiscussionOptions_Handler($Sender, $Args) {
            if (!Gdn::Session()->IsValid())
             return '';
           $Discussion = $Args['Discussion'];
          // Bookmark link
          $Label = T($Discussion->Bookmarked == '1' ? 'Unbookmark' : 'Bookmark');
          $Url = '/vanilla/discussion/bookmark/'.$Discussion->DiscussionID.'/'.Gdn::Session()->TransientKey();

if (isset($Sender->Options)) {
                $Sender->Options .= Wrap(Anchor($Label, $Url, 'Hijack BookMark'), 'li');
             }
             else {
                $Args['DiscussionOptions']['BookMark'] = array(
                   'Label' => $Label,
                   'Url' => $Url,
                   'Class' => array('BookMark Hijack')
                );
             }
          }

its not perfect but its another start for you before you hire someone :;

personally I think its a bad idea to see if it is bookmarked, because you have to click to tell.

another option if you want text to show instead of bookmark icon star.

.Item a.Bookmark, .Item a.Bookmarked, .Item a.Bookmarking {
       background-image: none;
        font-size: 10px ;
        line-height: 11px ;
        visibility: visible;
        margin-right: 20px;
        width: auto;
        display: inline;
    }

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2015

I made a plugin to add custom bookmarks, VBookmarks

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

text vs. sprites and images

en garde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f343z7FRu_4

Well he can use it as a guide...

• ditto!

• @peregrine said:

>
    No, i did not. I just don't know how to make a plugin and did not want to go down that road today if i could help it.
    If it is a really bad idea, i will just go with the text suggestion.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I customized these things in all my themes. It is pretty easy to do. Making plugins is pretty easy too. Once you inspect a simple plugin, you can make your own. Even use theme hooks which is a plugin for a theme.

• I will have to look in to it when i have some more time for messing around. For now, thanks for all the help you all have given me today @vrijvlinder and @peregrine.

• Oh yeah, where is the bump plugin? Is it in the directory?

• @ytadvisors said:
    Oh yeah, where is the bump plugin? Is it in the directory?

you are a jokester.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

the second.

• OK, thanks.