Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Hide from Recent Discussions" hiding the entire category for everyone?

edited September 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

So, I have a category for Bugs & Feedback which I would prefer to hide from Recent Discussions as it's going to flood that section. However, when I check the option to Hide From Recent Discussions, it disappears from view to everyone but administrators.

Does anyone recognize this issue?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2015

@omfgblondie

I've just tried it, and the threads disappear from the Recent Discussion page, but the category is still visible to members from the Category list, and members can see the threads when they click on the category link.

Can you try it with the default theme and see if you still have an issue?

• It disappears on the mobile version of the forums, which uses a completely different theme.

Ah, OK, but you didn't say that...

Happens with me too, so hopefully someone will know if that is intended behaviour or not.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

so it is either a problem with theme or plugins.

you need to test with default theme as whu606 suggested.

Can someone say what is happening, in a complete descriptive sentence.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Dammit, a typo. It dissappears on the mobile version TOO, as well as the main theme.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

what is "it".

• Can you post an image of what you expect to see and what you don't see.

• Describe what you expect to see (instead of "it"), and where on screen and with exactly what theme name.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    so it is either a problem with theme or plugins.

you need to test with default theme as whu606 suggested.

Can someone say what is happening, in a complete descriptive sentence.

Interesting, I get this from you almost every time I post here. I'm not sure how I can be any more clearer, but I'll try.

When I check the box for "Hide From Recent Discussions" on a child category, that child category is hidden completely for my members. I can't see it in the Category List of the parent. Only admins can see it. It happens on all the different themes I've tried it on.

I'm asking if anyone recognizes it, because I agree that it's probably a plugin. However I have 2-3 dozen plugins installed, so I'd prefer not just starting to disable them and test.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

omfgblondie said: Interesting, I get this from you almost every time I post here. I'm not sure how I can be any more clearer, but I'll try.

it is getting clearer, but still murky.
    Hard to troubleshoot, unless the details are specific.

so now you are talking about child categories. That was never mentioned.

Do you have the same problem if it is not a child category?

what list are you talking about? in the panel? on the category page?

that is why an image helps, and

edited September 2015

OK

I've set my test site to Baseline+

If I hide a category from Recent Discussions, when logged in as a member

the category doesn't show in the Categories page with 'Viewing followed categories' selected, but does with 'Viewing: all categories' selected.

It doesn't show in the default mobile theme, where I have added {categories_link} to the default.master file.

That may be because it doesn't or can't show all categories.

It also shows in default mobile when visiting /categories

So it must be an issue to do with your themes.

• I'm 100% sure that this has been working before as we've done it with previous game launches. The only thing I've added are plugins, so I'm just trying to figure out what plugin could cause it.