Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need to disable recaptcha [SOLVED]

htweet1htweet1 New
edited October 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Please someone tell me what to do to disable recaptcha feature at registration. I want to make use of registration question plugin for spam control instead.

Thanks

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

in vanilla 2.1.11

Some notes that may help you understand vanilla registration itself. (you may have to read this a few times to soak in, it may be confusing, but it will become crystal clear if you read it a few times).

there are four different types of registration available from dashboard. which is part of the vanilla core and nothing to do with this plugin!

Basic method from dashboard equates to Captcha in /conf/config.php

this is for your protection so your forum is not wide open to spammers.

all other registration options from the dashboard are as expected.

your choice is reflected in /conf/config.php

e.g. these are the four options from the dashboard.

Dashboard Setting|  |  respective setting in /conf/config.php
    ============================================================================================
    Approval            |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';
    Basic                   |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha';
    Invitation          |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Invitation';
    Connect             |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Connect';

A fifth option is available via /conf/config.php

the most basic registration method....

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic'; // just absolute basic no Captcha

Only if you want to set up Basic Registration... (see below).

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

the above option is not available by the dashboard registration settings.

BE AWARE - if you have changed the Registration method in /conf/config.php if you disable the addregistration question plugin, you should go back into the registrations settings page and reset your registration options.

further detailed explanation ....

To set this up, you have to edit the Vanilla configuration file (/conf/config.php). Where the setting is:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha';

change "Captcha" to "Basic". It should look like this when you finish:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

(If it says something other than "Captcha", when you first go in, that's okay, just change whatever it says to "Basic" "Captcha" is Vanilla's default - and it corresponds to their "Basic" setting in the admin control panel under Users/Registration).

This "Basic" config.php setting is not the same as the "Basic" setting that you'll see in the Vanilla admin panel under Users/Registration. When you save the config.php file, then go back to the Vanilla admin panel to Users/Registration and verify that NONE of the methods are selected.
    This is as it should be because you have just changed the setting in the config.php file itself - to a "Basic" method that is not the same as the default "Basic" setting that comes with Vanilla.

Now, try to register a new user account. You should see that the registration form contains the AddRegistration question that you've created but does not contain the captcha. If you want to use both captcha and the AddRegistration question, then go back to Users/Registration in the Vanilla admin panel and this time select "Basic" and save. By doing this, it will show both elements.

in vanilla 2.2 - it is a bit trickier to do without registration. there should be a setting in the form to disable captcha on other forms of registration. this has been overlooked in my opinion. except for one type of registrations. so this is an opt out for one type of registration, whereas 2.1 was an opt in.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• will post my result here soon as i implement it in minutes from now. thanks

• please where do i find or locate config.php?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

do yourself a favor and read this faq. then read the readme in the vanilla installation notes then you will know the very minimal basic things you should know as a forum admin also see documentation link at top. and get used to using the searchbox to search the forum.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq-what-frequently-asked-questions/p1

htweet1 said: please where do i find or locate config.php?

the conf folder. i.e.
    conf/config.php

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218973/#Comment_218973

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• it worked. I did as you have explained. thank you so much

• @htweet1 said:
    it worked. I did as you have explained. thank you so much

great. glad it worked for you.