Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can I Install VanillaForums on Windows Platform?

Hi All,

I have hosted my site with hostforlife.eu. My primary site using .net so I need to use windows platform. Now, I want to create interactive forums for my clients. I have googled and find best recommendation to build my forums. And the CMS must be simple and easy to use. There are few candidate that I want to use to build my forums, like phpBB, Vanilla.

But here is the problem, I can confirm that phpBB can run perfectly on Windows platform, I'm just wondering that I can also install VanillaForums on my shared hosting. If I see the requirement, it must run on Apache, is that right? Please advise

If it can run on windows platform, then I will test and compare it with other CMS, which is the best and simplest for my forum.

Thank you

Comments

• It will run on a Windows platform, meaning IIS, but it's not supported. If you run into anything you can report it, we can look at it, but we can also say: we cannot solve it, because it's IIS

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    The answer is Yes :D

Could you please advise steps by steps to install it? Any tutorial?

@UnderDog said:
    It will run on a Windows platform, meaning IIS, but it's not supported. If you run into anything you can report it, we can look at it, but we can also say: we cannot solve it, because it's IIS

It works or not in IIS? Or I must purchase linux hosting?

Thank you

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@BestDay

People report getting Vanilla working on IIS, but it is not supported officially, and I doubt if many on here have done it.

From the documentation

Self-Hosting Requirements

PHP version 5.3 or newer with --enable-mbstring.
    pdo_mysql module must be enabled.
    MySQL 5 or newer.

Vanilla ships with a .htaccess file required for Apache support. Nginx and IIS require additional configuration.

I'd suggest trying it and seeing what happens.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@whu606 said:
    I'd suggest trying it and seeing what happens.

+1 for that.

To get an impression: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues?utf8=✓&q=is:issue+windows

Issues for Vanilla on Windows are addressed on GitHub and seem to be solved except for one.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

whu606 said:I'd suggest trying it and seeing what happens.

and if you start pulling your hair out, I'd go with linux, it will be alot smoother.

you could also do wamp but I would suggest linux.

r_j said: Issues for Vanilla on Windows are addressed on GitHub and seem to be solved except for one.

assuming they are backported to vanilla 2.1.11

if he is using IIS and 2.1.11 - he is going to run into issues.

and 2.2b1 is still a beta version and may still not have fixes to issues backported.

and 2.2.101 still has open issue as you point out and probably more undiscovered tidbits of trouble and is an alpha version.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I can always purchase the linux hosting with them, but it is not good option. Why? Because if I purchased 1 linux account with them, I have 2 accounts that need to be managed and I need to spend more money.

Since they can host unlimited websites under 1 account, I plan to host it with 1 single account only. I will ask their suggesstion first to hear the best option.

I will be back again if I have additional questions. Thanks...

• Yes but what doesn't run on linux, when it come to web?

Seems like a no brainier.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

My primary site using .net so I need to use windows platform.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+.net+applications+run+on+linux

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.