Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Override applications/dashboard/views/entry/registercaptcha.php with a theme.

How do I go about using a custom 'applications/dashboard/views/entry/registercaptcha.php' view in the theme? I am unable to find any documentation on dashboard views within themes. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options

Never mind! I figured out you just drop it in '{theme}/views/entry/registercaptcha.php' and it picks it up!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

/themes/YOURCUSTOM_THEME/views/entry/registercaptcha.php

e.g.

vanilla/themes/bittersweet/views/entry/registercaptcha.php

that said: My opinion it is a bad idea to override views, Some people think it is a not a great idea to override views, and some people don't realize it.(better to use events in themehooks or use a plugin with event and don't override the view), numerous theme makers have overridden views and the views become out of date (and frequently insecure) and their clients don't realize they are using stale views that may be insecure the next time they upgrade.

• Overriding views can and has broken plugins
    • it has also made upgrades insecure if you don't modify the view as well to manually insert all security fixes, events, and changes after upgrading vanilla.
    • clients who use themes or plugins that override views made by a developer may not realize they may be in trouble when they next perform an upgrade.

Many times you will see a theme in the add-on section that someone says doesn't work with the current version of vanilla (frequently this is because they have modified views). Also here are examples of plugins with stale views that may be insecure or broken or have features missing because they override views.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/234173/#Comment_234173

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

In a perfect world it makes sense to use the hooks yes, but not all customization can be made through hooks and therefor the views need to be modifiable such as this particular case for this client. Thanks for the advice... was already taken into consideration.