Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Category button not showing correctly

"Category button" not showing correctly on PC and mobile device on vanilla version 2.2.
Please help.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

"Category button" not showing correctly on PC and mobile device on vanilla version 2.2.

what does this mean - post a screenshot of "not correctly" and what you expect.

4 things to keep in mind when dealing with display issues and posting questions.

• 1) if you are not using the default theme when testing, test with default theme if things don't seem to work as expected.
    • 2) if you are using a premium or custom theme, no one can possibly guess your issue, but the odds are if it works with default theme and not yours, it is a css issue or a view issue.
    • 3) as with all plugins if it doesn't have 'MobileFriendly' => true, in the plugininfo array, it will probably not work in mobile mode until you add it.
    • 4) you may need to adjust css.

the plugin was written a while back but surprisingly works perfectly on desktop with default theme.

tip: if you are not using default theme, always wise to mention that in post if it is a display issue.

that said the program could be re-written by to conform to new coding standards, but at the same time works.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited November 2015

@peregrine
    I had to add 'MobileFriendly' => true, to make the buttons appear on mobile device but the buttons overflow the mobile screen. Please see attached screenshot. My vanilla theme is a custom theme clone right from default theme.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

try changing in the css of the plugin.

Option 1

from

.category-buttons{
            display:inline-block;
            }

to

.category-buttons{
            display:block;
            }

if that doesn't work you could do option 2

Option 2

do something else study up and experiment

https://www.google.com/search?q=css+tutorials

Option 3

pray for vrijvlinder to come back and help you.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Thanks @peregrine,
    Option 1 and 2 did not work. My last option is to pray and hope @vrijvlinder fixes the addon.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

VrijVlinder has been busy elsewhere , however she does check in once in a while to help with design issues , not providing a link to the site hinders my potential help . It is not my plugin but am willing to see your site using a web inspector . That is the most speedy way for me.

As a rule the plugin should have a CSS file where the errant code likely is . If not it may be your own theme making it like that.

• Thanks @vrijvlinder. The improved version works great.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2016

@vrijvlinder said:
    VrijVlinder has been busy elsewhere , however she does check in once in a while to help with design issues

you will love the new documentation. much easier to read now :;

gotta love the new personal pronoun approach.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/2c7e324c87df2784ad76be52826fe7b817617e71

old

• When a user is connecting through SSO he is prompted to choose a username.

new

When a user is connecting through SSO she is prompted to choose a username.

much better than just saying

When a user is connecting through SSO the user is prompted to choose a username.

:)

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.