Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Editing the emoji grid on the Advanced Editor in 2.2?

Hello everyone,

I was curious: right now, when one clicks on the emoji button, the emojis are organized in a grid of four columns. Is there any way I can edit this so that the columns are a number of my choosing? And if so, how could I go about doing that?

Your time and help are appreciated, as always.

Comments

• As an addendum question(s), since it's sort of related to the same area:

• Is there any way to return the font colour / font background colour and font size buttons to the editor?

• Is there any way to allow < mark > < / mark > tags to be usable?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

Editing the emoji grid on the Advanced Editor in 2.2?

you can use the emoji extender plugin and create your own resource set of emojis. numerous discussions on the that if you search.

actually it too is confusing the name is different then the folder name

$PluginInfo['EmojiExtender'] = array(
        'Name' => "Emoji Sets",
        'Description' => "Change your emoji set!",

so the plugin name is "emoji sets" and the folder name is "EmojiExtender"

just as the editor folder is confusing

$PluginInfo['editor'] = array(
       'Name' => 'Advanced Editor',

plugin name Advanced editor folder name editor.

Name and folder inconsistencies could be for obfuscation to keep people out of core plugins.

Is there any way to return the font colour / font background colour and font size buttons to the editor?

they were only in the cleditor not the buttonbar. two different beasts. allowing of styles could allow security breaches.

Is there any way to allow < mark > < / mark > tags to be usable?

what does this mean?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Sure, I've actually already used the emoji extender and have incorporated my own set of emojis, but the issue is that the "grid" that manifests when someone presses the emoji button organizes itself into 4 columns (4 x 4 if one clicks the button above), and I would like it to be my own custom grid (such as 10 x 2) - but I just can't seem to find where to switch that within the files.

If one uses the < mark > HTML5 tag, it doesn't currently work, even though the advanced editor in 2.2 says it's HTML5 compliant, or something along those lines, so I wondered why that wasn't allowed.

So if I understand correctly, colours are no longer allowed through buttons because it's a security breach? I only ask because one can still change colour of the font through the font tag in HTML mode in the editor, so I just wondered if there was an easier way for those who aren't comfortable with using code.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

Changing colors via style tags I believe styles was prevented, I know you can create problems using styles.

Advanced editor is essentially an evolved buttonbar. Cleditor was on a different branch on the evolutionary tree. As far as I know Buttonbar never had colors, but prove me wrong. As far as cleditor, this is not cleditor (it is deprecated).

As far as I know (could be wrong) The font tag is not supported in HTML5.

well what do you know :)

This is some text!

This is <mark>marked </mark>
    This is marked

probably the person who wrote the plugin could tell you about html5 compliance.

as far as grid you could try through css.

.editor-dd-emoji + .editor-insert-dialog {
        box-sizing: content-box;
        width: 73px !important;
    }

I suspect you could add font buttons and a mark button given enough time and desire.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    Changing colors via style tags I believe styles was prevented, I know you can create problems using styles.

Advanced editor is essentially an evolved buttonbar. Cleditor was on a different branch on the evolutionary tree. As far as I know Buttonbar never had colors, but prove me wrong. As far as cleditor, this is not cleditor (it is deprecated).

As far as I know (could be wrong) The font tag is not supported in HTML5.

well what do you know :)

This is some text!

This is <mark>marked </mark>
    This is marked

probably the person who wrote the plugin could tell you about html5 compliance.

as far as grid you could try through css.

.editor-dd-emoji + .editor-insert-dialog {
        box-sizing: content-box;
        width: 73px !important;
    }

I suspect you could add font buttons and a mark button given enough time and desire.

Interestingly, I just discovered all the buttons are actually there - they have just been disabled, and so I enabled them and they all work except background font colour. Is there any way I can disable the security restrictions so that people can use styles once again?

I also was able to solve the emoji with your help - greatly appreciated.

• thanks for the tip - didn't even occur to me about the colors.

• jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

@MrCanadian said:
    Sure, I've actually already used the emoji extender and have incorporated my own set of emojis, but the issue is that the "grid" that manifests when someone presses the emoji button organizes itself into 4 columns (4 x 4 if one clicks the button above), and I would like it to be my own custom grid (such as 10 x 2) - but I just can't seem to find where to switch that within the files.

If anyone else is wondering how to modify which Emoji are visible in the editor, this is set in the manifest.php file that accompanies each Emoji set, e.g. plugins/EmojiExtender/emoji/twitter/manifest.php. Look for the editor property - this is the list that appears in the UI.