Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to edit the HTML of discussion pages ?

Hello,

I have got a custom theme but I am having some troubles with making some changes in my theme.

What I want to do is to move

<

h1> tag right after ...

Now you may ask why I want to do this ?!

My problem is that I set a Message (from dashboard) about Usages of cookies in my site (which is mandatory in EU) and now the first indexed paragraph in Google for all of my discussions is this cookie relates message ...

So I wonder if there is any way to Move H1 before the messages area ...

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to make an image of what you have and what you want. There is a plugin the called CookiePop which does this, is that what you are using for the pop pup ?

What kind of message is it , a dismiss message what ?
    Is this a css issue ?

Please give a link and much more info, like name of theme etc..

• Options

Well... Yes thats pretty much it... but I don't like how it works.

and yes I am using a dismiss message ..

Here is my website : phds.at

Thank you

• Options

You did not answer my question…

Forget the message in the dashboard, don't use it for that because you can't change the order of the module…

Please try the Plugin CookiePop which is made for this purpose.

• Options

Thank you for your reply again...

I used that before I create this thread but It does not work the way I want it to be... but I am going to give it an another try...

so its not possible to change the order of the module?

• Options
    edited February 2016

No, those messages are modules and they do not have a way to manage the order of them.

What is it that you don't like about cookie pop ? It detects new people and they need to click it to acknowledge they got the message and accept cookies. basically the same as the message but more configurable.

You can try making a new module, then use the module sort plugin...

• Options
    A.ChakeryA.Chakery New
    edited February 2016

Well TBH I hate modules which load more JS files ... Vanilla is really great but unfortunately there is no conditional codes available to be used in its templates. Personally I like to set which file to be loaded for which user account... for example in this case all JS files are loaded in all pages of the site even thought they are not needed .. for example JS files needed for posting new comments or discussions are being loaded for Guests (including Google) therefore it slows down the site for Google which is a negative factor to SEO...

Its really sad because Vanilla is really a user friendly forum software and these limitations really makes it hard to work with.

• Options

SEO is mostly affected by content not so much by speed unless it never loads. Speed is affected by the amount of content loaded and varies very much by user bandwidth and device. It varies by what host you use as well. People posting huge images, or heavy files. Even posting compressed folders will slow the site.
    Social Network plugins and widgets or flash will slow the site down.

• Options

I 100% agree with you but Personally I have had a really noticeable difference between sites being loaded less than 1.5sec than those higher than 2....

Anyways Really appreciate your help..

• Options

These cookie warning mostly load in JavaScript. Although modern search engine do run JavaScript, it is not going to place higher significance on on the contrary.

Also the use of h1, h2... have much less significance than it once did. Search engine are much more about content and much less about tricks.

My advice is to put in a message in the side bar an link to your full privacy statement, make it opt out. Many companies are doing such a thing. There is nothing saying it has to be at the top.

The reason is the body that is meant to enforce such a law, doesn't even follow it to the letter. They know it is unenforceable and they said they aren't really enforcing it back in 2012. It is a joke.

It was decided on by a bunch of octogenarians bureaucrats, solving a problem that didn't exist, that wouldn't affect those likely to break privacy laws, completely ignorant of the real privacy issue on line, which this does nothing to solve.

Aslo if they were logical they would put the onus on the browser companies to let there user know what cookies they have and how to control them. Since it is the browsers that accept/deny the cookies.

I would have no objection to providing information through a sensible protocol, for what cookie dose, and this would also mean that if you are using goggle analytics for example, you don't have to be an expert on those cookies, google can provide that information with the cookie.

Requiring a complete adhoc process that disrupts the design and function of the site is just stupid.

These law violates the national sovereignty of the countries of which law they overruled, and that can be 900 year of development of a legal system out of the window, because some bureaucrats who decides something.

Meanwhile there are also sorts of sniffing techniques that don't involve having to leave files on your computer an are cross site, and these are not targeted by such a law.

grep is your friend.