HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

server load

jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Banter

I am using this plugin and it seems that each 3-4 seconds there is a connection with the database. So i was wondering if you have a lot of people online on the forum ( lets say 100 persons are logged in); how about the server load? that means within 3 seconds, there are are 100 requests fired to the server.
I really have no idea if that is much or not for a server to handle that. Is it much? too much? My website is stored on a normal shared hoster.

Comments

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited March 2016

I recommend loadung Van2Shout on a separate site instead running it on the startpage. There is some code snippets here on the forums on how to do that.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

Unfortunately, you are right about the requests. If you have a busy forum, than the shoutbox will generate quite some load on the webserver.
    The suggestion @phreak made will definitely decrease your load.
    Another way of dealing with it would be to enable the Firebase integration.
    This would stop the shoutbox requests to your server altogether.