Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Utility/structure needed? once upgrade to 2.2.1 done

Recently upgraded from 2.2.5 (found @ GitHub's master branch 2014 Jan.) to this 2.2.1
It seems right but... now ;-) I should run utility/structure isn't ?

Not seen at your doc' upgrading instructions but previously (2.0 and 2.1 may be) it was "required" then do you know if I must do it now...
Many thanks in advance

Tagged:

Best Answer

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited May 2016 Answer ✓

Thanks for posting that short list! I had no luck to reproduce that message and so I've reinstalled a test version, now being able to see this message! Here's the explanation...

Users permissions are cached so that they do not have to be calculated again and again. If you do not use a cache like memcached, the permissions are cached in the User table, column Permissions.
    In order to run utility/structure, the permissions of the current user are checked. If they are not calculated yet, they will be calculated and cached in User.Permissions.
    This means that in order to clean that column, it couldn't be empty. See where this will end? Infinity!

Since my normal test installation uses memcached, I couldn't reproduce this at first.

Well, the conclusion of all this is that you can safely ignore this remaining result of /utility/structure. It will never disappear. I'll file this as an issue on GitHub, but I'm not 100% sure that there will be a solution for this.

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2016

Yes it is you should do it. It can't hurt. You can run it several times even.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

Ok, thanks @vrijvlinder and then ;-) tried it

Fisrt time

The following structure changes are required for your database.

`update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'applicant'
    where RoleID = '4';

update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'member'
    where RoleID = '8';

update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'unconfirmed'
    where RoleID = '3';

update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'guest'
    where RoleID = '2';

delete from GDN_UserRole
    where UserID = '0';

update GDN_User 'User'
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

alter table 'GDN_Tag'
    /* Existing: 'FullName' varchar(255) not null, New: 'FullName' varchar(100) not null */
    change 'FullName' 'FullName' varchar(100) not null;`

Done and 'Rescan' once

The following structure changes are required for your database.

`update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'applicant'
    where RoleID = '4';

update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'member'
    where RoleID = '8';

update GDN_Role 'Role'
    set Type = 'unconfirmed'
    where RoleID = '3';

update GDN_User 'User'
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';`

So 'Rescan' and 'Rescan' and :( above is still displayed!
    Do you know if I could do something in order to fix it? thank to you

Using PHP 5.5 and MySQL 5.6 / Apache 2.4

You can go into the mysql data base and change those values manually .

Important Default roles are

admin 1

System 2

• PamelaPamela ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Yep, thanks to you @vrijvlinder for your support
    But it seems done, already ;-) in fact (phpMyAdmin screenshot, below)

Voila... is it right ?

No, As I said before … admin is role 1 and System is 2 … Guest can't be 2

1. Your admin and moderator roles are not right (look at the column "type"). They should be "administrator" and "moderator".
    2. I get partly the same message:
    update GDN_Role `Role`
    set Type = 'applicant'
    where RoleID = '4';

update GDN_Role `Role`
    set Type = 'member'
    where RoleID = '8';

update GDN_Role `Role`
    set Type = 'unconfirmed'
    where RoleID = '3';

And even running the sql manually on the database doesn't change anything on the message from utility structure. I guess there is a bug somewhere. I'll try to hunt it down...

You should fix admin and moderator role and try SELECT count(*) FROM GDN_User WHERE Permissions = '' on the database. If it is not 0, you should run

update GDN_User
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

manually.

You can safely ignore:

update GDN_Role `Role`
        set Type = 'applicant'
        where RoleID = '4';

update GDN_Role `Role`
        set Type = 'member'
        where RoleID = '8';

update GDN_Role `Role`
        set Type = 'unconfirmed'
        where RoleID = '3';

You have no chance to make that disappear. I've a pull request on GitHub and so I assume it will be fixed in the next Vanilla version.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    No, As I said before … admin is role 1 and System is 2 … Guest can't be 2

Ok @vrijvlinder, but tried a fresh install then Guest role is 2 and no System role, here!

Really not an expert ;-) but Admin role seems to be 16 not 1, isn't ?

I guess vrijvlinder mixed this up with a column in the user table. Your roles are correct.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@R_J said:
    1. Your admin and moderator roles are not right (look at the column "type"). They should be "administrator" and "moderator".

Exact... done via phpMyAdmin, thanks you @R_J

Noticed than Unconfirmed role still deletable (1, it should be 0 ?) but ;-) not important (at this time)

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@R_J said:

You should fix admin and moderator role and try SELECT count(*) FROM GDN_User WHERE Permissions = '' on the database. If it is not 0, you should run

update GDN_User
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

manually.

Well, as said above, manually ;-) added these moderator and administrator types in 'GDN_UserRole' table, 'Type' column

Later tried your query, result is 9, so :( not 0
    In fact there 're 11 members

• My first admin account: a:34:{i:0;s:17:"Garden.Email.View";i:1 etc
    • System: NULL
      but all others 're empty (11-2=9)

Noticed than once a user/member is logged in then something is added to this 'Permissions' column
    but not all members 'll be back...

edited May 2016

If it is a clean install, I would have thought that unconfirmed has deletable = 0
    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/master/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php#L51
    $RoleModel->define(array('Name' => 'Unconfirmed', 'Type' => RoleModel::TYPE_UNCONFIRMED, 'RoleID' => 3, 'Sort' => $Sort++, 'Deletable' => '0', 'CanSession' => '1', 'Description' => t('Unconfirmed Role Description', 'Users must confirm their emails before becoming full members. They get assigned to this role.')));

But that is not checked in /utility/structure so it is no wonder that it is not changed

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@R_J said:
    I guess vrijvlinder mixed this up with a column in the user table. Your roles are correct.

Yep, @vrijvlinder check out GDN_User, in this 'Admin' table, my first admin is 1 and my system is 2 (other members is 0)

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@R_J said:

update GDN_User
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

manually.

Did you mind @R_J the following query?

update GDN_User `User`
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

They are identical.

In SQL you can give alias names to tables. This is very comfortable if you have a query that joins multiple tables. If you are working with only one table, an alias is not needed.
    The one thing I hate about SQL is the use of apostrophes and so I simply left that part out.

• I tried to run the commands above, but i still shows me 13 counts. Am I understanding it right that all my members should have a "null" in the permissions table?

I still get

update GDN_User User
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';

I've made a mistake: SELECT count(*) FROM GDN_User WHERE Permissions <> ''. Since all users where Permissions are not empty (empty, not NULL) should be changed, you should only count them.

But what appears when you run /utility/structure? Please don't get confused just because of my hackish SQLs. The output of the official SQLs are much more important.

• 'update GDN_Role Role
    set Type = 'applicant'
    where RoleID = '4';

update GDN_Role Role
    set Type = 'member'
    where RoleID = '8';

update GDN_Role Role
    set Type = 'unconfirmed'
    where RoleID = '3';

update GDN_User User
    set Permissions = ''
    where Permissions <> '';'

I get this Output. All Users (beside my logged in admin) have empty permissions.

When i run your script it counts "1".

Please post a list of all activated addons and plugins (from your config.php the sections // EnabledApplications and // EnabledPlugins

I do not even get that message if I write values in that column and so this message is coming from a plugin/addon you are using.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

@R_J said:
    They are identical.

In SQL you can give alias names to tables. This is very comfortable if you have a query that joins multiple tables. If you are working with only one table, an alias is not needed.
    The one thing I hate about SQL is the use of apostrophes and so I simply left that part out.

Well, thanks @R_J then I 'll try it