Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Invader Emoticon B)

I don't have any emoticons or emojis enabled and was typing a list with A, B, C etc. and a closing parenthesis immediately after each, like
A)
B)
C)
D) etc.
and you’ll see that the B converts to the sunglassed smiley! The only way I’ve found to prevent this is to enclose both sides of the letters with parentheses, like (A), (B), (C). Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Funny you mention this . I noticed it here on this forum but when using : automatically wants to make emoji and you can't stop the drop down from following the post

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is a dirty hack:
    A)
    B)
    C)
    D)

I've inserted an empty html tag above: B<i></i>)

Vanilla will never be able to determine what you like to do so you would have to change the alias so that your users need to use :sunglasses: and B) doesn't have any special meaning at all. You might want to change the alias to B-)

If you change the file where this is specified, your changes will be destroyed on the next update. So you might want to write a custom plugin for that or change that via a custom theme.

You would have to copy the folder with the emoji set into your plugin. The folder ist here: /plugins/EmojiExtender/emoji/little. I would suggest something like that: /plugin/customEmoji/emoji/customLittle.
    Afterwards you have to edit the manifest.php in your copy of the folder: change the name and change any appearance of B) to B-)

Then create a simple plugin that has the following code:

public function emojiExtenderPlugin_init_handler($sender) {
        $sender->addEmojiSet(
            'customLittle',
            __DIR__.DS.'emoji'.DS.'customLittle'.DS.'manifest.php',
            __DIR__.DS.'emoji'.DS.'customLittle'
        );
    }

In the EmojiExtender you can now choose your custom emoji set where B) will no longer be converted to B)

B)

• That "dirty hack" of an empty HTML tag works great - thanks a million!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Some of your users might also find out about that but some other users might stumble upen this "problem". So keep in mind that there is also a way to change the shortcut. But great that you're happy with the simple "hack".