Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Dashboard userlist shows no list by default

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

I have an interesting issue. My Dashboard > Users doesn't show a list. I had the problem under 2.2 and still have it under 2.2.1. Still though all the files were updated with this update. The search bar still works, so i can search for users. But per default there is not list and i am not able to access the full user list.

In the Inspector / Source Code nothing seems to get loaded.

I also use BulkEdit 1.3 but turning the plugin ON or OFF doesn't change the problem either.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the problem?

Thank you!

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I have no idea, but I would search for "strange" user names. Maybe not exactly like that one but if you look at your user table, let it be sorted by name and scan through the entries just to see if you see something dubious.

Just out of curiosity: do you get a list if you filter for e.g. "administrator"?

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited May 2016

How many users do you have?

You may be running into the typical behavior of the vanilla dashboard users when your user count is very high.
    you can check your table rows in the user table to get an estimate.

There is an "optimization" in vanilla. If you have over 10,000 users you will not see a list and will only be able to search. More restrictions occur when you have over 1000000

There are a variety of plugins that allow the viewing of your users (members).

The optimization in vanilla has, is in the usermodel in the dashboard

/** @var int The number of users when database optimizations kick in. */
    public $UserThreshold = 10000;

this is acted upon in the usercontroller in the dashboard.

there is also a UserMegathreshold which is set at 1000000 which further restricts abilities (optimizes).

To get different behavior you will have to raise the count or lower the number of users (purge very old users who haven't logged in for years), or live with the knowledge that you won't see a list without changing the coding behavior or use a plugin that displays the list.

Whether the 10,000 limit was arbitrary or has a deleterious impact upon performance would guide you as to what you should do.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

@phreak said:
    Hi all,

I have an interesting issue. My Dashboard > Users doesn't show a list. I had the problem under 2.2 and still have it under 2.2.1. Still though all the files were updated with this update. The search bar still works, so i can search for users. But per default there is not list and i am not able to access the full user list.

In the Inspector / Source Code nothing seems to get loaded.

I also use BulkEdit 1.3 but turning the plugin ON or OFF doesn't change the problem either.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the problem?

Thank you!

Depending on your version of vanilla the public $UserThreshold = 10000; is in the dashboard/controllers/usercontroller.php or in the newer versions, it is in the dashboard/models/usermodel.php

not sure which version of vanilla you have, but you should be able to search for variable name.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@River: Wow, thank you. That's a great insight i wouldn't have stumbled across. Ny simply raising the treshhold i can now access the userlist again. My forum doesn't seem to suffer from it in any sense.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla