Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How could NillaBlog work without Categories.

Does anyone have any idea how to make NillaBlog work without having to turn on the categories in VanillaForums?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

No, Because it was designed to work as a category.

But you can use the Articles application which works like a real blog. https://vanillaforums.org/addon/articles-application

• @vrijvlinder said:
    No, Because it was designed to work as a category.

But you can use the Articles application which works like a real blog. https://vanillaforums.org/addon/articles-application

I turn on my categories but I'm still getting this error:
    Plugins.NillaBlog.CategoryIDs is not a valid string.

edited June 2016

You need to create a Category called Blog. And then add subcategories under the main Blog category .

This not a real blog and it does not function as a real blog. It is simply a category Called Blog that you can somewhat customize with subcategories.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You need to create a Category called Blog. And then add subcategories under the main Blog category .

This not a real blog and it does not function as a real blog. It is simply a category Called Blog that you can somewhat customize with subcategories.

What happen to the old NillaBlog when I could just pick one category and it would work?

Did you create a category called Blog ?

• edited August 2016

@vrijvlinder said:
    Did you create a category called Blog ?

Yes, look:
    http://prntscr.com/bhc865
    I don't understand why I have to call it blog now, my friend's website is using the same plugin but does not have to call it blog.

You can call it whatever you want, but it needs to be a category specifically made for the NillaBlog. I tried this add-on and found it lacking because it is not a blog. I'm not even sure what it is. But it is not a blog.

If you want to create a blog inside Vanilla , you need to use the Articles Application I mentioned. This NillaBlog Addon is obsolete. No disrespect to the author but it is.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You can call it whatever you want, but it needs to be a category specifically made for the NillaBlog. I tried this add-on and found it lacking because it is not a blog. I'm not even sure what it is. But it is not a blog.

If you want to create a blog inside Vanilla , you need to use the Articles Application I mentioned. This NillaBlog Addon is obsolete. No disrespect to the author but it is.

Okay If anyone is able to help fix this bug plz say so.

@ItsMohammadFl said:

@vrijvlinder said:

You don't seem to understand that there is no bug. NillaBlog ONLY works with Categories because it is a Category.

كنت لا يبدو أن نفهم أنه لا يوجد أي خلل. NillaBlog يعمل فقط مع الفئات لأنها الفئة.

• @vrijvlinder said:

@ItsMohammadFl said:

@vrijvlinder said:

You don't seem to understand that there is no bug. NillaBlog ONLY works with Categories because it is a Category.

كنت لا يبدو أن نفهم أنه لا يوجد أي خلل. NillaBlog يعمل فقط مع الفئات لأنها الفئة.

Categories is on!

• You shouldn't need to create a category named "Blog".
    You will need a category though. After creating one, you need to select it in the nillablog settings.

That error message means you haven't saved the category you wish to turn into a blog.

You shouldn't need subcategories... I'm not sure what @vrijvlinder is talking about.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

edited June 2016

@ddumont said:
    You shouldn't need to create a category named "Blog".
    You will need a category though. After creating one, you need to select it in the nillablog settings.

That error message means you haven't saved the category you wish to turn into a blog.

You shouldn't need subcategories... I'm not sure what @vrijvlinder is talking about.

Yes I tried explaining that , it does not need to be called blog but it has to be for NillaBlog and noting else. Then you can add subcategories to the "Category" You made into a NillaBlog.

He wants to be able to use this without having to use categories at all. I explained it is not possible.

• @ddumont said:
    You shouldn't need to create a category named "Blog".

I create a new category and select it in the NillaBlog screen but I keep getting the same error.
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• No, I'm not sure what's going on.

And unfortunately I haven't been able to test the addon on recent versions of Vanilla. All I have are user reports of it either working or not. If your friend has it working and he's running the same version of Vanilla as you, then I'm not sure why you're having trouble.

Can you open your conf/config.php and look for this line:
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['CategoryIDs'] =

?

• @ddumont said:
    No, I'm not sure what's going on.

And unfortunately I haven't been able to test the addon on recent versions of Vanilla. All I have are user reports of it either working or not. If your friend has it working and he's running the same version of Vanilla as you, then I'm not sure why you're having trouble.

Can you open your conf/config.php and look for this line:
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['CategoryIDs'] =

?

This is what I see.
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['PostsPerPage'] = '10';
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['CategoryIDs'] = false;
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['DisableCSS'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Plugins']['NillaBlog']['GooglePlusOne'] = '1';

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited June 2016

:-/ That's... not right at all...

I'm afraid Vanilla may have changed an api out from under me... or php made some core changes between what I tested with and what you are using. I'm not a php developer so I'm not sure what'd going on.

I'd need some help here from another addon dev on the site.

https://github.com/ddumont/nillablog/blob/master/src/main/php/class.nillablog.plugin.php#L45

• edited June 2016

@ddumont said:
    :-/ That's... not right at all...

I'm afraid Vanilla may have changed an api out from under me... or php made some core changes between what I tested with and what you are using. I'm not a php developer so I'm not sure what'd going on.

I'd need some help here from another addon dev on the site here.
    It looks like they changed code on me and arrays are not serialized anymore.

https://github.com/ddumont/nillablog/blob/master/src/main/php/class.nillablog.plugin.php#L45

Okay, I hope someone is able to help you fix it.

PS:
    I'm running PHP 5.6 via namecheap.com.

• Do you know the categoryId of the category you made?