Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error when trying to modify roles

I've just set up a new forum.
Unfortunately, I can't modify any roles or set up new ones in the dashboard. In any case, I'll get directed to this error page:

_Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
Please check back in a little while._

How can I fix that or is it a general problem?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Please look at your server error logs and post what it says, if it's too long , post the first part only..

• I don't find any :(

I've had a look in the index.php and it says:

// Report and track all errors.
    error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_PARSE | E_CORE_ERROR | E_COMPILE_ERROR | E_USER_ERROR | E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR);
    ini_set('display_errors', 0);
    ini_set('track_errors', 1);

ob_start();

I also checked the config-defaults.php ... could these following lines are interesting?

//$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php'; // Used at installation time and you should use it too view when debugging
    $Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup'] = TRUE; // Should the sign-in link pop up or go to it's own page? (SSO requires going to it's own external page)
    $Configuration['Garden']['UserAccount']['AllowEdit'] = TRUE; // Allow users to edit their account information? (SSO requires accounts be edited in external system).

I also don't find this mentioned deverror.master.php

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited August 2016

Do this to show error messages:

Set $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; in your conf/config.php to reveal full error messages. Remember to remove it when you are done (Troubleshooting Vanilla).

Then, try to modify the roles in the dashboard again and let us know what errors you see.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Thanxx! Did that ... here's the result:

Fatal Error in PHP.trigger_error();
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' p.Name as Name from _b_01_c c left join _b_01_p p on c. = p.ID' at line 1
    The error occurred on or near: /WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/database/class.database.php

408: // If we get here then the pdo statement prepared properly.

409: break;

410:

411: } catch (Gdn_UserException $uex) {

412: trigger_error($uex->getMessage(), E_USER_ERROR);

413: } catch (Exception $ex) {

414: list($state, $code, $message) = $PDO->errorInfo();

415:

416: // If the error code is consistent with a disconnect, attempt to retry

Backtrace:

/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/database/class.database.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/database/class.database.php:412] PHP::trigger_error();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:1663] Gdn_Database->query();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:614] Gdn_SQLDriver->query();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/applications/dashboard/models/class.permissionmodel.php:592] Gdn_SQLDriver->get();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/applications/dashboard/models/class.permissionmodel.php:708] PermissionModel->getJunctionPermissions();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/applications/dashboard/models/class.permissionmodel.php:756] PermissionModel->getPermissions();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.rolecontroller.php:145] PermissionModel->getPermissionsEdit();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.rolecontroller.php:145] RoleController->edit();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:329] PHP::call_user_func_array();

[/WWWROOT/249940/htdocs/index.php:44] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

Variables in local scope:

[Sql] 'select distinct p.ID as ID, c., p.Name as Name
    from _b_01_c c
    left join _b_01_p p on c. = p.ID'

[InputParameters] array (
    )

[Options] array (
    'Type' => 'select',
    'Slave' => NULL,
    'ReturnType' => 'DataSet',
    )

[ReturnType] 'DataSet'

[tries] 2

[try] 0

[PDO] array (
    )

[PDOStatement] false

[state] '42000'

[code] 1064

[message] 'You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near \' p.Name as Name
    from _b_01_c c
    left join _b_01_p p on c. = p.ID\' at line 1'

[uex] array (
    )

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Your select 'select distinct p.ID as ID, c., p.Name as Name from _b_01_c c left join _b_01_p p on c. = p.ID' looks very weird. Those table names do not belong to Vanilla. Do you really have set up a completely new download? And it has been a download from here? https://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core

• It's from my provider's webside (www.kontent.com). They offer a Vanilla and a phpBB3.1.9 board as "web apps" to install in your webspace. They offer various other stuff, too, such as galleries, webshops, calendars, blogs, wikis, dynamic portals CMS, and more via an installer, which is quite handy. All you need to do is to create a new subdomain and upload one of those programs on to it. They clearly point out that all offered scripts are open source.

Background:
    We are a small group of friends (not more than 20), using the forum just for our daily chats, we all know each other in real life.
    I've used the phpBB3.1.9 board before on another subdomain and it ran quite well, but as they don't offer a good mobile solution, I wanted to swap to Vanilla.
    So I installed a new subdomain for Vanilla and uploaded the Vanilla package, then manually created all the users and asked them to test the new environment. This is where I wanted to play around with their roles and ended up getting the error message.

As the package has been offered by this webhoster, I assumed it was the original stuff.

Is there anything I can do?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Yes: don't use their pre-installed packages. Obviously they are buggy, at least this is true for Vanilla. Right now I'm trying to help someone who has been using such a pre-installed version, too and they were running Vanilla 2.0 claiming that this is the most recent version. It causes nothing but troubles, and installing Vanilla all by yourself is really easy.

Another reason why you shouldn't use their installer script is that no one here is able to support you, because no one knows which changes they have made.

And that is the case for the problem you have described above: the only one who could help you with that problem is your provider. Sorry.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I think what @R_J is suggesting is that you do a clean install of Vanilla, using the package available from here.

That should sort you out.

You can either download the package and then upload it to your server and extract it there, or extract it locally, and upload the files to the folder of your web server that you want.

• Thanxx a lot :) I thing, I'll give it a try then :)