Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Invitation email body just contans "EmailInvitation"

Hi,

V 2.2.1.

I had no
$Configuration['Garden']['Locale']
line in my config.php, but adding
$Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'en';
did not help.

In applications/dashboard/locale/ I have:
en-CA folder
en.php file
(that both contain "EmailInvitation")
I tried to symlink en.php to en-CA.php and en-CA to en but no change.

en_CA ISO-8859-1 & en_CA.UTF-8 UTF-8 are among existing locales.

Server run debian wheezy (php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 & mysql 5.5.50).

Any idea is welcome!

L. Zimmerli / SysCo

Tagged:

Comments

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

@SysCo said:
    Hi,

V 2.2.1.

I had no
    line in my config.php, but adding
    $Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'en';
    did not help.

if you don't have

in config.php it defaults to $Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'en'; because it gets the info from config-defaults.php.

In applications/dashboard/locale/ I have:
    en-CA folder
    en.php file
    (that both contain "EmailInvitation")
    I tried to symlink en.php to en-CA.php and en-CA to en but no change.

you don't need en-CA folder - it is a remnant from older vanilla installation. It would actually be better the delete the whole folder, since you don't need it, adds clutter, and adds another unnecessary folder to backup.

you don't need to symlink anything. you don't want en-CA.php either.

all you need for the english language regarding /applications/dashboard/locale folder is applications/dashboard/locale/en.php which comes with vanilla 2.2.1.

en_CA ISO-8859-1 & en_CA.UTF-8 UTF-8 are among existing locales.

these locales deal with time and date in php and os related things, but have no real relation to vanilla locales.

Always delete the .ini files in your cache folder when adding locale files. Try to do things via dashboard regarding enabling and disabling instead of manually changing config.php.

so after you delete unnecessary folders, files, and symlinks and deleted the ini files in cache.
    test to see if EmailInvitation works.

I assume you want english and are not using multilingual or other language plugins.

if you still have issues. you can view the file in cache folder.

view the Locale_map.ini and determine which locale files are being read for [en]

those are the files that will be looked at to determine if there is a definition for EmailInvitation

if it looks like the file is being read and you still have with EmailInvitiation post your definition and post the contents of Locale_map.ini and also determine if you have a conf/locale.php or a conf/locale-en.php with a bogus definition.

you can re-install the locale files by pulling them from https://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core

Server run debian wheezy (php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 & mysql 5.5.50).

Any idea is welcome!

L. Zimmerli / SysCo

if after following above steps and that is the only definition that doesn't work, you probably have the definition munged up or overwritten somewhere.

you can also safely delete /applications/vanilla/locale/en-CA folder.
    because /applications/vanilla/locale/en.php replaces it and you are using "en" locale based on your config setting.
    All en-CA is old hat junk with regards to vanilla core.

Also you will note a few people still continue to resort to en-CA locales in there add-ons when updating versions of their add-ons and this can break when using "en" locale in current vanilla default installation if the definitions are namespaced

The downside of doing vanilla upgrades in place is that you accumulate file and folder junk from previous installs that you no longer need and the readme's don't detail what you can safely remove from older installation.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Hello River,

Thank you very much! Deleting the cache/*.ini file was the thing to do, I now have correct mail bodies when sending invitations.

I also deleted en-CA folder without any side effect.

Thanks again,
    Best regards