HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

rfc: Any Feedback on the theme?

TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Feedback

This is my first theme that I've built for a while for Vanilla. I'd appreciate any suggestions for improvements.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
  • Hi Tama, I'm totally new to Vanilla but I love your theme - very neat & simple. I'm currently testing it here and I have noticed that table header columns won't spread any further - won't adjust the cell width. As you can see, this results in issues when a language other than English is being used. The "wrap" class doesn't seem to work properly. Unfortunately, I'm new (installed just 15mins ago) so I don't know how where exactly should I point. Anyway, it could be as well my fault, but you've asked for improvements so that's one thing I've noticed. Thanks!

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@typickylev said:
    Hi Tama, I'm totally new to Vanilla but I love your theme - very neat & simple. I'm currently testing it here and I have noticed that table header columns won't spread any further - won't adjust the cell width. As you can see, this results in issues when a language other than English is being used. The "wrap" class doesn't seem to work properly. Unfortunately, I'm new (installed just 15mins ago) so I don't know how where exactly should I point. Anyway, it could be as well my fault, but you've asked for improvements so that's one thing I've noticed. Thanks!

Before making the change below please download the new version (it tries to fix the signup/register buttons not being on the same line).

Try adding the follow to custom.css (at the bottom)
    .DataTable.DiscussionsTable thead { font-size: 91%; }

• Thank you very much! The new version is awesome and works just great. Keep up the great work!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

What is irritating me is that it looks as if the text in a discussion is written "to the background". I thought it would look nicer if discussion and comments would be "cards" but I think mui.css only provides panels. I've added this to a plugin to test how it would look:

public function discussionController_beforeCommentDisplay_handler($sender, $args) {
            $args['CssClass'] .= ' mui-panel';
        }

public function discussionController_beforeDiscussionDisplay_handler($sender, $args) {
            $args['CssClass'] .= ' mui-panel';
        }

The css rule .DataList .Item creates a margin of 0 so that comments do not really look like panels. I've added .DataList .mui-panel {margin-bottom:20px} and I think it improves readability a lot! But I'm not sure if in the material design concept a panel is the semantically correct element for an article...

When clicking on the search box, the Word "Search" and the cursor are not aligned correctly because the font in the search box is much smaller than the word Search. At least that's the case with my Firefox version.

That is an impressive port of mui.css!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited August 2016

With table layout, Vanillicons and DiscussionPhotos, the recent discussions has a glitch on mobile.

Forget about that. That has nothing to do with your theme...

• @Tama said:

@typickylev said:
    Hi Tama, I'm totally new to Vanilla but I love your theme - very neat & simple. I'm currently testing it here and I have noticed that table header columns won't spread any further - won't adjust the cell width. As you can see, this results in issues when a language other than English is being used. The "wrap" class doesn't seem to work properly. Unfortunately, I'm new (installed just 15mins ago) so I don't know how where exactly should I point. Anyway, it could be as well my fault, but you've asked for improvements so that's one thing I've noticed. Thanks!

Before making the change below please download the new version (it tries to fix the signup/register buttons not being on the same line).

Try adding the follow to custom.css (at the bottom)
    .DataTable.DiscussionsTable thead { font-size: 91%; }

Hi, I downloaded your Material theme and I really like it. There are however some points that could be changed, I couldn't properly edit it myself so still got this problem.
    If you want to login, the login box doesn't completely show properly: IMAGE
    Same with the register page, tried to edit the buttons but didn't work out: IMAGE
    Thank you for the theme!

@crypticdesigns I'm on holiday atm but will take a look when I get back

• @Tama said:
    @crypticdesigns I'm on holiday atm but will take a look when I get back

Sure awesome, when will you return?

• There is no mobile theme.. i can't enter mobile site...

• This theme is not responsive.. how Can I make it work for mobile

I'm going to be busy again for a few months but the source is available at https://github.com/lungyiin/Material for anyone that wants to take a look.

• Hi Tama, It's a great theme but I don't know if it's just me but the select dropdowns, checkboxes and radio buttons are not working. I can see the original tags are hidden with css and they were supposed to be replaced by material looking alternatives but that didn't happen.

I haven't changed anything much in the theme except colors and there are no js errors. Is anyone else having this issue?