Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Signup Validation Settings Not Working

Hi, I'm trying to limit the character usernames signup on my forum, but when I set it using one of the tutorials found here, it still does not apply and says 3-20. I set it below 10. I tried both the array(3,10) and {3,10} method but no luck.

Please help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

xifekobo said: but when I set it using one of the tutorials found here,

should we guess which ones you looked at and "didn't work" , or do you want to provide links. than you can be advised.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2016

@xifekobo said:
    Hi, I'm trying to limit the character usernames signup on my forum, but when I set it using one of the tutorials found here, it still does not apply and says 3-20. I set it below 10. I tried both the array(3,10) and {3,10} method but no luck.

Please help.

for the english language this is one way.

Changes message that appears

in conf/locale.php add this.

$Definition['UsernameError'] = 'Username can only contain letters, numbers, underscores, and must be between 5 and 10 characters long.';

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207043#Comment_207043

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale/p1

Validates between 5 and 10

in conf/config.php
    $Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationLength'] = "{5,10}";

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218973/#Comment_218973

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

thanks I think all tutorials have the same solution as it is one key like that but with different combinations that I mentioned above.

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationLength']

I tried the bracket and array type. Though I did not put the UserNameError message, is that required? afaik know that is only for displaying.

• Options

@xifekobo said:
    thanks I think all tutorials have the same solution as it is one key like that but with different combinations that I mentioned above.

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationLength']

I tried the bracket and array type. Though I did not put the UserNameError message, is that required? afaik know that is only for displaying.

well the translation is for displaying, that is what I tried to say. translation displays. config statement validates.

you could make this easier!
    -what language are you using? english? what user name did you try! please provide a specific example.

• what about utf-8 and pcre.
    • did you modify or make a config statement with $Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex'] ? if so, what?

you could temporarily debug here

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/Vanilla_2.2.1/library/core/functions.validation.php#L254

by inserting

var_dump($ValidateUsernameRegex);
    die();

then printing your result and then removing the two lines.

non -intrusive test

alternatively you could create a regextext.php file and run it from your web browser.

<?php 
    $value = "bad";
    $regex1 = "[\w]{4,10}";
    $regex2 = "[\pN\pL\pM\pPc]{4,10}" ;
    $regex1 = "/^({$regex1})?$/siu";
    $regex2 = "/^({$regex2})?$/siu";
    echo "$regex1 $value is " ;
    var_dump(filter_var($value, FILTER_VALIDATE_REGEXP, array('options' => array('regexp' => $regex1))));
    echo "<br>";
    echo  "$regex2 $value is ";
    var_dump(filter_var($value, FILTER_VALIDATE_REGEXP, array('options' => array('regexp' => $regex2))));
    echo "<br>";
    $value = "good";
    echo "$regex1 $value is ";
    var_dump(filter_var($value, FILTER_VALIDATE_REGEXP, array('options' => array('regexp' => $regex1))));
    echo "<br>";
    echo  "$regex2 $value is ";
    var_dump(filter_var($value, FILTER_VALIDATE_REGEXP, array('options' => array('regexp' => $regex2))));

then post the results.

• Options
    xifekoboxifekobo New
    edited September 2016

Thanks. Of course English and I already changed it, here's my settings on that part:

For now I only would like to set a preferred username limit like this:

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationLength'] = array(4,15);

my sample is just entering 2 chacters username, when I entered a valid email correctly, the 2 char username also validates. This is becoming a bit of a problem now for me :/

Ok I will try the debugging there.

• Options

Are there any plugins that can do this for a forum? like min-max characters. tickers for uppercase, lowercase then numbers.. etc.

too complicated for a normal owner and I should point out again that the default messages says 3 char minimum whereas I already tested it validates for 2 only. That's a bug right there unless you have typo on the message.