Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to set the initial role of new users?

2»

Comments

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Lmao… if your forum is made up of 5 people then surely it does not matter…

Yes. It's quite small and exists to provide support for a specific product. I'm not trying to be the next facebook, just make it easy for customers to ask questions when they run into problems.

If a person finds it too hard to register legitimately, then they must be in their 80's Because even my mother was able to register on websites.

That's a terrible attitude towards software. The problem isn't that people can't do it, it's that it's extra unpleasant work. Haven't you ever heard anyone complain about computers? Little annoyances like email confirmation are the reasons why. Anyway, I've got addregistrationquestion running now so I'll see if that helps and if not, try the other one or email confirmation. But I'm not going to add too much until I find it's needed.

If you don't understand how bots work or what massive spam attack means, just search this forum. People set their registration to approval and end up spammed with bots waiting for approval. Zombie applicants..

"massive spam attack" isn't the problem I'm trying to solve. I'm only getting one or two batches of spam posts every week and it's been pretty steady for a couple of years. I'm sure if they were going to flood my forum with anything, they would already be doing that. Even if that happens oneday, I'd rather it be a flood of email notifications to me than a flood of public posts - which get emailed to me anyway.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Registering is not dificult or tedious or even unpleasant work if even called work at all. If you want a help desk , look at software dedicated to that there are many good ones . The purpose of a forum is to provide an environment for people to discuss common interests . Using forum software of this caliber is overkill for a simple help desk .

• I don't understand the weird resistance to how I want to run my forum. There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to spam. I'm trying to address it in a proportionate way.

This forum we're using right now is also Vanilla acting as a helpdesk and surely you aren't recommending they downgrade to something less overkill. Anyway thanks @whu606, @River, and co for your helpful suggestions.