Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What's the point of this plugin?

Hello, could anyone explain to me what's the point of this plugin I'm having trouble understanding.

Comments

• Anyone?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@ItsVizionTv said:
    Anyone?

@Plugin Description says
    Combine resources (js, css) according to regex patterns, to have the ideal number of requests, and minimise bloat.

And also

It will combine JS and CSS files according RegExp rules, so there is not too few (meaning that it won't all fail, becuase one thing has), but a handful, as to reduce bloat when adding countless Addons.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the point". Maybe you've already understood what the plugin does, but you do not understand why it has been made?

When you open a web page, your browser requests all the files that are needed from the server: the index.php and all .css, *.js, *.png, *.jpg, *.whatever* files that referenced in the html page that the index.php generates.
    Each request has some overhead so that requesting all css files consolidated into one transfers less data than requesting ten single files. But what is more important: each request needs some time to establish, so that the number of requests should be quite low.

That's why even google now advices to include smaller css/js snippets into html although it is much cleaner to separate them into single files.
    Symbol fonts became quite popular because you could load them once as a slightly bigger file, but let the browser cache it. Afterwards you can use all the icons contained in that font without them causing additional requests to the server.

• @R_J said:

@ItsVizionTv said:
    Anyone?

@Plugin Description says
    Combine resources (js, css) according to regex patterns, to have the ideal number of requests, and minimise bloat.

And also

It will combine JS and CSS files according RegExp rules, so there is not too few (meaning that it won't all fail, becuase one thing has), but a handful, as to reduce bloat when adding countless Addons.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the point". Maybe you've already understood what the plugin does, but you do not understand why it has been made?

When you open a web page, your browser requests all the files that are needed from the server: the index.php and all .css, *.js, *.png, *.jpg, *.whatever* files that referenced in the html page that the index.php generates.
    Each request has some overhead so that requesting all css files consolidated into one transfers less data than requesting ten single files. But what is more important: each request needs some time to establish, so that the number of requests should be quite low.

That's why even google now advices to include smaller css/js snippets into html although it is much cleaner to separate them into single files.
    Symbol fonts became quite popular because you could load them once as a slightly bigger file, but let the browser cache it. Afterwards you can use all the icons contained in that font without them causing additional requests to the server.

Thanks, now I understand!

• @ItsVizionTv said:

@R_J said:

@ItsVizionTv said:
    Anyone?

@Plugin Description says

And also

Okay, I understand now but does the one CloudFlare offer work's better?

PS:
    I'm talk about this.
    https://www.cloudflare.com/website-optimization/

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You are better off trying the software yourself , since it's free, and arriving at your own conclusions as to what works best. Otherwise you come off as lazy and you will not get answers here. Cloudflare is not a Vanilla product .

https://www.cloudflare.com/videos/?_bt=137835572638&_bk=cloudflair&_bm=e&_bn=g&_bt=137835572638&_bk=cloudflair&_bm=e&_bn=g&gclid=CKiP2p-msc8CFUhrfgodUCACJA

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2016

@ItsVizionTv said:

Okay, I understand now

Based on your discussions. https://vanillaforums.org/profile/comments/62397/ItsVizionTv do you? better off asking cloudflare and non-vanilla coding and design or system administrator questions at appropriate forums. http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum/forum.php and https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/242554/#Comment_242554 or as above post suggests.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2016

@ItsVizionTv said:

Using a minification plugin would allow CSS files and scripts (assets) to be compressed locally into a cache. You can control the cache, clear the cached files, and tweak how the files are minified.

I use CloudFlare for one of my Vanilla Forums. CloudFlare provides a CDN service that directs requests for asset files from your web server to their servers. It comes with a lot of other benefits too, all of which can be configured and toggled on or off. It works well with Vanilla Forums.

If you don't want all the features of CloudFlare, then a minification plugin for Vanilla would work just as well for compressing asset files.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:

@ItsVizionTv said:

Using a minification plugin would allow CSS files and scripts (assets) to be compressed locally into a cache. You can control the cache, clear the cached files, and tweak how the files are minified.

I use CloudFlare for one of my Vanilla Forums. CloudFlare provides a CDN service that directs requests for asset files from your web server to their servers. It comes with a lot of other benefits too, all of which can be configured and toggled on or off. It works well with Vanilla Forums.

If you don't want all the features of CloudFlare, then a minification plugin for Vanilla would work just as well for compressing asset files.

Okay, I understand now thanks!