Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

chatroom

edited April 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Can anyone recommend a chatroom app?

Comments

• Campfire :D
  • campfire is great for a site with a business purpose; also, it costs a little bit of money just to allow 60 people to chat. anyone know of an open source chat application?
  • edited March 2006
    http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/1859/ I used Chatr which is simply and easy, made a plugin for Vanilla as well
  • Not to mention that Campfire cannot be locally hosted.
  • I use phpchat, it's free... but it's too big, and clunky. like Chatr, many IE users are out of luck. A nice, simple chat would be really great!
  • @fernando - What do mean like Chatr many IE users are out of luck?
  • edited March 2006
    See, what we need is a chatroom built on this.
  • NickENickE New
    edited March 2006
    lol, you just saw that too? Here's a more technical description: http://ajaxpatterns.org/HTTP_Streaming
  • I installed Chatr, and most IE 6 and lower users said they couldn't see it, or use it. Has that been fixed?
  • None of mine seem to have a problem with using IE?
  • Yeah, I tested it on several different machines with IE 6.x and it worked fine. I would wonder if their security settings are blocking out the AJAX stuffs? I know that part of that ends up running as ActiveX in IE and setting more securely can block it from running.

I was looking to use Chatr on my site, but I guess I'm going to have to rethink that... Some 60% of my users are on IE, ~85% of that 6.x, but it makes me concerned that I'd be locking some people out.

Have you looked at Lace? That one seems to degrade pretty nicely, even working on Lynx (manual refresh, of course).

http://socket7.net/lace/
  • Lace doesn't look to bad, if my users ever start logging in again LOL (I think I confused a bit much) maybe I'll give it a go.
  • Lace looks good. It installed just fine and I've actually got it up and running now. My community seem to like it a lot. Only thing missing from Lace is the lack of registration. Anyone can pop on and chat away... no requirement for names or anything. Would be nice to hack it to allow registration for nickname reservation/protection. Otherwise this one's pretty cool.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    lace looks nifty indeed. I'll have to play with this.
  • fernando: maybe you (I certainly couldn't) could play around with making a Lace extension so that it's usuable through Vanilla and hacking Lace to use People?
  • Tying Lace into People is pretty straight forward. I've got most of what's need cobbled together right now. Give me until later this evening and I'll post what I've got.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2006
    Tying Lace into People is pretty straight forward

That sounds absolutely terrifying :P
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    hahaha, ouch.
  • edited March 2006
  • edited March 2006
    Unintended connotations ahoy! Heh.

Strike the code I'd placed here previously. I've run into some odd issues and need to rethink it. Will post back when I've got it fixed.
This discussion has been closed.