Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What is better? Self-install or Softaculous

Hello, I'm about to install VanillaForums on my new server and I was going to ask would it be better if I uploaded the files and create the MySQL myself or would I see some type of improvement if I used the Softaculous plugin to install the forums?

Comments

• If I don't lose anything like added performance or security I'm would most likely use Softaculous for the first time since it offers and easy install plus auto upgrade & automated backups.

• And with the auto-update feature would it automation pick the latest PHP update that vanilla supports? Since my host offers the latest and oldest PHP updates.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2016

I think pretty much anyone regular on here would advise against automatic installers.

You will get no improvement.

They are often slow to pick up the latest release and will do nothing re: security upgrades.

Self-install is pretty easy, especially on a hosted website where you don't have to think about installing dependencies like MySQL or PHP.

I don't think the automated backups would have anything to do with Softaculous. That is normally something your host offers.