Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Will Vanilla 2.2.1 just not work on PHP7?

Hey, I just installed Vanilla on a Ubuntu 16.04 system with PHP7. I can open the Vanilla Dashboard but the actual forum shows a blank page.

Does the current Vanilla version (2.2.1) just not work on PHP7? Or can I do something to make it work?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Swennet said:
    Hey, I just installed Vanilla on a Ubuntu 16.04 system with PHP7. I can open the Vanilla Dashboard but the actual forum shows a blank page.

Does the current Vanilla version (2.2.1) just not work on PHP7? Or can I do something to make it work?

No, you need PHP 5.6 max. It will run on PHP 7 with the next update. 2.3

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@Swennet said:

from the readme, not as clear as it could be to non-english speakers. Probably should have just said does not work with php 7.0. Although you could have searched for the answer and found out, the read could have been clearer.

Self-Hosting Requirements

PHP version 5.3 or newer with --enable-mbstring.
    pdo_mysql module must be enabled.
    MySQL 5 or newer.

Vanilla 2.2 requires PHP 5.3. Running master branch requires PHP 5.4, as will future official releases.

Vanilla is compatible up to PHP 5.6 (the current release) and we always recommend using the lastest stable PHP release whenever possible.

Vanilla ships with a .htaccess file required for Apache support. Nginx and IIS require additional configuration.

On the client side, Vanilla should run & look good in just about any modern browser. Using IE? How exotic. You'll want IE8 or greater. IE7 might work if you squint hard and click gently, but we make no promises.

We've been natively mobile since before it was cool. Vanilla ships with a mobile-optimized theme enabled by default for all smartphones & tablets. Heck, it even works on the PlayStation Vita.

for 2.2.1

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/Vanilla_2.2.1/README.md

for 2.3RC1

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/release/2.3/README.md

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

It certainly was unclear from the readme. After searching around I found that updating Vanilla to be compatible with PHP7 should be rather easy, which is why I asked if there was anything I could do to "make it work".

Instead, I simply installed the 2.3 Beta version. (Still running a development environment anyway)

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@Swennet said:
    It certainly was unclear from the readme. After searching around I found that updating Vanilla to be compatible with PHP7 should be rather easy, which is why I asked if there was anything I could do to "make it work".

Instead, I simply installed the 2.3 Beta version. (Still running a development environment anyway)

Yes. clarity is sometimes opaque. 2.3 release candidate RC1 probably the smartest plan, until 2.3 is released whenever that may be. probably by the end of the year or shortly after or shortly before, relatively speaking.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited November 2016

The cause of the blank pages with Vanilla 2.2 and older with PHP 7 is due to Smarty, the PHP Template Engine. An updated version of Smarty will be included in the next release of Vanilla that fixes this.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

i have same problem