Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Discussion Polls Do Not Appear on Mobile Devices

Running 2.2.1

Discussion Polls were added as a plugin, work fine on the site generally.

On mobile devices, users can see the initial post containing the poll--member, post text, etc.--but the text and graphic part of the poll do not appear.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

If the poll works but looks bad then it has to do with the mobile theme design. Try fixing that with CSS.

• The poll doesn't look bad, it's just completely missing. The discussion and all the posts look fine. If the first post says, "Here's a new poll, guys:," you can read the text fine, but nothing follows. It looks just like any initial post on a new discussion, minus the poll itself.

Looking at the code in the mobile theme files, this file seems a likely candidate:

public_html/themes/mobile/design/custom.css

Something is blocking the poll's voting options (and the bar graphs after you vote), and I suspect it's in this file. I assume it's an effort by the program writer to reduce the amount of data for mobile devices. But our members are fine with it. There is some code about /* Hide Stuff */, and I suppose the code is suppressing part of the regular content, including the poll.

If anyone has any coding suggestions, I can give it try and report back.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@help_me
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Ok, Have you considered using the proper posting style to get a better answer. Highly recommended, since it is easier for the author of the plugin to locate the questions regarding the specific add-on and possibly give you the answer or at least they will have a central spot for feature requests and bugs, etc.

when asking a question about a specific theme, plugin, application or locale.

please go to

you will see this on all add-ons....

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• River,

One of the problems is that it's unclear (as is often the case) where the problem lies--in the Polls plugin or the Mobile theme.

Vrij very kindly pointed out to me that the mobile theme is probably the issue.

I have posted it over there as you suggest.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@help_me said:
    River,

One of the problems is that it's unclear (as is often the case) where the problem lies--in the Polls plugin or the Mobile theme.

Vrij very kindly pointed out to me that the mobile theme is probably the issue.

I have posted it over there as you suggest.

it may not be the problem. if you are using the defualt mobile theme. it depends on what theme your config statement is using.

• The simple way to test if it is a theme problem or the plugin is to test. You could simply change to the mobile theme that comes with vanilla.

this is the default mobile theme setting. and the files in the default mobile theme should not be modified.

$Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] = 'mobile';

it means it is using the DEFAULT mobile theme.

• if plugin doesn't work correctly with default theme. post your question under the plugin. post your question under discussion polls plugin. because the plugin is broken if it should work with mobile.

Always test with default themes to isolate problems with plugins.

if a plugin works with default mobile theme but breaks with a different mobile theme then your problem is with the "mobile theme".

here are some basic troubleshooting tips to isolate problems.
    https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/233540/#Comment_233540

here is another that can be adapted to any version of vanilla. You can adapt the necessary steps logically to isolate problems.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/31153/tutorial-a-fool-proof-way

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

This discussion has been closed.