Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't access Vanilla

Hi there,

this seems to be a total Newbie question but I just can't seem to figure it out.

I uploaded the Vanilla build into a subfolder /forum on my webhosting service. However, when trying to access it and set it up, any browser gives me an error message "too many redirects" and tries to point me to /dashboard/setup.

I edited the htaccess to RewriteBase /forum (without the #), RewriteEngine is On but it still doesn't work.

I am using Strato but can't seem to find a setting applying to this particular problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Cheers!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

tries to point me to /dashboard/setup

You need to go through the setup process first. A set up page should be the first thing you see. There it will ask for the info of the database and login instructions and credentials.

• I don't think you have to edit your .htaccess file to be able to access the forum. What happens when you undo your .htaccess file changes and simply browse to yoursite.com/forum?

• Thank you for your replies.

I can't access the setup file. When browsing to my site/forum a "too many redirects" message appears in my browser (I tried Safari and Firefox).

I thought that my htaccess file was the problem and changed it - still the same problem.

I also tried deleting all cookies and website data - still no luck.

• @vanillauser17 said:
    Thank you for your replies.

I can't access the setup file. When browsing to my site/forum a "too many redirects" message appears in my browser (I tried Safari and Firefox).

I thought that my htaccess file was the problem and changed it - still the same problem.

I also tried deleting all cookies and website data - still no luck.

create a phpinfo file. Determine what type of web server apache or nginx, or something else, OS type and version, version number and type of sql and version number of php.

check the modules you have installed, etc. Then ask your host if they may be aware of any problems.

Determine if you meet the requirements of the readme for the release.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/master/README.md

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Will do, thank you!

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204643880/how-can-i-create-a-phpinfo.php-page

other things to try.....

also try downloading vanilla 2.3 again and unzipping and re-installing. Don't use any auto installers, do it manually by yourself.

do you have any other software wordpress or something else that may cause conflicts, or is you site free of all other software? the other software could also be creating issues.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• I have a DokuWiki installation in the root folder.