Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Are my problems related to the htaccess file?

edited January 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello and Happy New Year!

I recently installed Vanilla for the first time - version 2.3
At first, before I could install, I was getting a 500 error and I read somewhere here that I should use the htaccess file from 2.2 instead.
That worked and I installed okay. I also read that I should add SetEnv DEFAULT_PHP_VERSION 56 to the htaccess file so it now looks like this:

SetEnv DEFAULT_PHP_VERSION 56

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine On
   # Certain hosts may require the following line.
   # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
   # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
   # RewriteBase /
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

I have two problems.

One is that in my dashboard it says at the top:

We recommend using MySQL 5.6 or higher. Version 5.5.53 will not support all upcoming Vanilla features.

but I made a phpinfo and it lists my PHP version as 5.6.

I wonder what the warning in the dashboard might mean, if I am using the correct PHP version.

The second problem is that I installed a theme named Cloudy (I have contacted their support about this and I am waiting for a response) but it does not show up under the list of Themes in the dashboard. It does, however, show up under the list of Mobile Themes. I have enabled it as my Mobile theme and it works. So it must be there, right?

Could these two problems be related and could they be caused by the htaccess file from 2.2?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bye,
Adam.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@adamburton said:
    # RewriteBase /
    I have two problems.

That is one of them, the # disables pretty urls which are necessary... change to

RewriteBase /

One is that in my dashboard it says at the top:

We recommend using MySQL 5.6 or higher. Version 5.5.53 will not support all upcoming Vanilla features.

This means you need to update the MySQL database software to 5.6 or higher

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/installing.html

but I made a phpinfo and it lists my PHP version as 5.6.

PHP is a language and MySQL is an Open Source SQL database management system/software and has versions or release of it's own.

You can upgrade by using PHPMyAdmin which is a tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the internet.

https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Or ask your Host to help you.

• Options

vrijvlinder,
    thanks so much.

I'm not sure what my brain was doing there. I think I was confused by the numbers and reading MySQL as PHP. I have contacted my host to ask for help as I cannot find instructions on-line on how to update MySQL from PHPMyAdmin.

I edited the htaccess file as you suggested but the Cloudy Theme is still missing.

Do you know if it is okay to be using the htaccess file from 2.2?

Bye,
    Adam.

• Options

My host has said that MySQL "will be updated as and when" so I cannot do much about it until then - unless Iset up a Virtual Private Server (which I know nothing about).

Does anyone have any ideas about whether the problem I am having with Cloudy theme (described above) might be related to the MySQL version I am using? It is currently 5.5.53

Thanks so much for any help or advice.
    Bye,
    Adam.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Do you face the same issues with other themes or the default theme?

htaccess should work. Do you have link to the site ?

• Options

No, it's only the Cloudy theme.

As a test I just downloaded Gopi theme, then uploaded it to my server. It appears under themes immediately and I have it running on the site now (but Cloudy is still set as the mobile theme for some reason).

I'm not actually that fussed about using Cloudy theme (though I do like it), but I'm worried that, whatever is causing this problem might be causing other problems that I am not aware of yet because the site is so new.

It is at http://for.else.place/

Thanks again for your help, bye,
    Adam.

• Options

Aha!

That was the information that I needed to know.
    I changed the theme in the config.php file to Cloudy and now it is working.

Thanks vrijvlinder.

Bye,
    Adam.