Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Members still assigned to guest role

My Vanilla forum is set for 'Basic' registration method with email confirmation. When someone registers, they remain assigned to Guest role in addition to Member role. Shouldn't Guest role be automatically revoked when someone registers? If not, why?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

they need to confirm their email. If they do not confirm the email , they stay as guests until they do.

• ginahoyginahoy SE Arizona New

Sorry, I should have asked, shouldn't Guest role be automatically revoked when the member confirms their email? All members remain assigned to the Guest role, even after they confirm their email. It doesn't seem to do any harm. Is there a reason for this?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It could be your roles are messed up. This has happened before.. there is a discussion where it shows how to solve it , I will try to find it.

Thanks. I just read through that discussion. Looks like Roles is a mess, but there's nothing in that discussion that addresses my questions. No mention of Guest role.

Are you saying that if everything is correct, the Guest role will automatically be revoked when the new member confirms their email? I would be grateful if someone would confirm this behavior in their install.

If so, then I'll need to investigate the config files, which I currently do not have access to. I'm just the Admin. BTW, I'm running v.2.3.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

No, the Guest role should never be assigned to members. I've seen your config file so I have a slight advantage: the entry $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles'] = array('2'); is most probably the reason for that misbehavior. Please check which role has the ID 2

If a user confirms his mail address, his "status" switches from unconfirmed to confirmed (there is a column in the User table explicitly for that)

Yes, RoleID 2 is for Guests. I'll ask the developer about this. Thanks.