Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Redirection Error while trying to install Vanilla Forum CMS on OVH Webserver

TheLexoPlexxTheLexoPlexx Cologne New
edited March 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am trying to install Vanilla Forum CMS.

• When I move all the files to my WebServer as I did when testing locally, I get a Redirect-Error (so my Browser says: The Request will always be redirected, tried with multiple Browsers).
  • When I remove the htaccess-File I end up with an Error 404 requesting the File /dashbord/setup.
  • When I instead edit the RewriteBase rule in the htaccess, and change the first line to # Modified as written in the htaccess, I end up with a 500 Internal Server Error. It seems it doesn't even matter what path I enter, I always end up with that.

In my root directory I have 3 folders: forum, www and bin. The Vanilla Forum CMS is obviously in the forum directory. www contains all main files. forum and bin are accessed by subdomain.domain.com.

So if you want to try it yourself: http://forum.mwt-clan.eu/ is the way to go.

I am hosting at OVH and when I go to the OVH-Manager (the place where I edit stuff about my Webhosting, Domain and such) and go to the tab "FTP - SSH" it says the base path is home/myusernamehere/.

I don't know what to do with that but I also tried entering that + "forum" into the RewriteBase rule.

I successfully installed and tested Vanilla Forum CMS locally before but I don't have a lot experience with Hosting. I however had similar path-issues before with Typo3 and my own selfmade-CMS.

Already posted over here as well: https://superuser.com/questions/1191522/redirection-error-while-trying-to-install-vanilla-forum-cms-on-ovh-webserver

Best Answer

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You might need to use the htaccess file for 2.2 instead.

• TheLexoPlexxTheLexoPlexx Cologne New

@vrijvlinder said:
    You might need to use the htaccess file for 2.2 instead.

Where can I get it and whats different?

• TheLexoPlexxTheLexoPlexx Cologne New

@vrijvlinder said:
    The one with 2.3 has issues. Replace the contents of your htaccess with this

Thanks a lot!

@vrijvlinder said:
    Not sure this will fix your issue though. This needs apache to work well. It needs the rewrite module to be enabled.
    I recommend you first install the forum as everyone does and get that to work, before you add or use ideas that differ from the normal installation and use.

I didn't change anything else.

@vrijvlinder said:
    Vanilla is not a content management system.

Why not? It manages content right? It's a neat GUI for the Frontend, that's a CMS in my opinion. But whatever, I'll not argue with you about that. I'll just stop saying "Vanilla Forum CMS" and just say "Vanilla Forums" instead.

Thanks a lot!