Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

DiscussionTopic (Space problem)

edited April 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Problem 1

Problem 2
How to make plug-in settings for suggestions based on tags.
Automatic suggestions based on the number of common tags between topics. Is it possible?

Comments

• Up to date.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

A question like that could hardly be answered without looking at the problem directly. You would have to give us a link to your forum...

• edited April 2017
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2017

I am not sure what is that but looks like some Topic plugin that is adding a span without anything in it. I would not use this plugin, it seems useless..

try adding this to the custom.css file

.Message span{
    display:none;
    }

I would be more restrictive because with the rule above, you might hide parts of the messages

.Message > span:first-child {
        display: none;
    }

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@R_J said:
    I would be more restrictive because with the rule above, you might hide parts of the messages

.Message > span:first-child {
        display: none;
    }

No it will not, I tested it. The messages use p for paragraph not span.. I would simply not use that plugin which looks useless and adds unnecessary code...

• edited April 2017

I deleted the plugin.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

HI all,
    I am still travelling all around (day job, you know) and apologize for not connecting earlier. I took a quick look and I am totally baffled by the reported behavior and the responses I see above:

1. @misantropist: A search of all the files in the plugin reveals that it does not contain the text "Disturbing Space" that is supposedly being displayed by the plugin. Neither was I able to recreate the issue. There must be something else happening here. It would be helpful to see a screenprint of the plugin setting screen.
    2. Sorry @vrijvlinder, you may not find use for the plugin, you are entitled to your opinion, but I find your comment that the plugin "seems useless" disparaging other users.
    3. @R_J - Not only was I not able to recreate the problem, I verified that the discussion topic message is using SPAN. Please see attached screenprint. This may be too late to help the user and I understand that my belated response (during these long travels) is mostly at fault. Regardless, I appreciate your attempt to help the user.
  • rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@misantropist - you asked "Problem 2
    How to make plug-in settings for suggestions based on tags.
    Automatic suggestions based on the number of common tags between topics. Is it possible?"

-- I am not sure I understand the question/goal. You could of course specify some quoted texts in the Priority Phrases section and intentionally set these to match some named tags, but even if you do so, the way the plugin is written it would find the first matching priority phrase and set it as the discussion topic (which may be fine if you indeed have an importance hierarchy of the tags).

You can of course modify the plugin. Before you do that I suggest you take a look at the Hashtag plugin, perhaps it is a better choice for what you need.

@rbrahmson said:
    1. @misantropist: A search of all the files in the plugin reveals that it does not contain the text "Disturbing Space"

:lol:

You really took a very, very, very quick look at the problem: "Disturbing Space" was the text inserted into a screenshot to mark the problem he referred to :lol:

What was causing the problem was some useless plugin - I don't remember the name but I think I have never heard of it. vrijvlinder and me took a look at misantropists forum and couldn't figure out what it does. It was only polluting some html markup. So she advised to delete that garbage and obviously useless plugin, not your plugin :lol:

Oh, big apologies if I misunderstood the response as aiming at my plugin. The comments were not clear to me, perhaps too ambiguous...?

As you can see I went to the problem forum, searched and found the post, and duplicated it on my test forum even though I have no clue which language it is and what the post says...

@misantropist: Let me know if you still need my help with this plugin or what you are trying to achieve with it (looking at your forum I didn't get the impression that you use it so I don't know if you have an issue with it or not).

Thank you R_J and Vrijvlinder for your help and covering for my travel absence!

• I did not understand anything.

@misantropist: In short and without technical detail, it seems that there was nothing wrong with with the "DiscussionTopic" plugin (There was another problematic plugin).

Let me know if you still need my help with the "DiscussionTopic" plugin.