Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Facebook authorisation doesn't work.

After more than 20 attempts of integraition with facebook login I came to 2 (TWO) major issues:

1. Your facebook plugin asks FB for publish_actions permition and your guides does not tell what you have to do to make it work, because pure clean and fresh vanilla instance when connecting to fresh APP makes FB to respond like that: "Submit for Login Review
    Some of the permissions below have not been approved for use by Facebook." - and there is actually nothing more in this note but I have found publish_actions in your script in scope section.

2. Even I have tried so many times, every time exactly as your guides say. Even I have try to find solution here (change in code, replace plugin with the one on Github) etc. etc. There is always the same conlusion: UniqueID is required. !
    Settings (app id, secret key, app settings) are OK because if they were not I would not be able to go through FB auth and APP connection ... something is wrong later - when after sucesful connecting FB is sending me back and vanilla seems doesn't recognize facebook profile details.

Comments

• Info from debug:

Notice 1
    file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
    error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

Notice 2
    file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto

Notice 3
    file_get_contents(https://graph.facebook.com/me?access_token=EAAH.....D&fields=name,id,email): failed to open stream: operation failed

• And it's not my server settings or connection issue because I've just tried the same with fresh MyBB instance, i've prepared new fb app, and FB login works there like a charm.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Then go with MyBB if that works for you ...

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Then go with MyBB if that works for you ...

LOL... I have tried to describe my problem as good as I can and exclude if there are any server connection issues so I have just tried different script to check it... I need Vanilla because of it's simplicity.

Looks like you have attitude problem buddy, I just hope you don't represent the level of support here.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Koriakin

Pretty much everyone on here is a volunteer. vrijvlinder can come across as 'testy' at times, but overall, if someone can help with a problem they will.

I don't use FB authorisation, so can't help.

Hopefully, someone will be on to help you later.

When people threaten to use some other software because one plugin does not work for them , that is an attitude problem. I simply stated the obvious , if mybb works like a charm then use that. There are at least 30 other discussions with people having the same problem. Maybe it does not work anymore. Maybe it's the settings. There are tutorials for js connect and solved discussions you can access. The level of support is based on the willingness of the user to search the forum for solutions.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@vrijvlinder:
    Based on the description I would say there even has been quite a lot of research done!
    Installing another forum script for testing the Facebook settings is another effort that most of the users asking similar questions before haven't done.

By the way: there is no connection between jsConnect and the Facebook plugin. You could have known that by doing a little research. ;)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

vrijvlinder

I can see why you came to that conclusion, but as the OP has clarified, it was the wrong one.

They were simply trying to clarify that it wasn't a server issue.

UniqueID is required. !

This generally occurs when the Facebook app and the Vanilla plugin are not configured correctly. For security, only the registered callback URL is accepted as a redirect URL.

This would generally be fixed by putting the correct URL in the Facebook app settings page.

• KoriakinKoriakin New
    edited April 2017

@vrijvlinder it was not meant to be a threat, I was only anticipating questions.

I'm not a coder, developer or any other software engineer, and my knowledge is in this matter limited... I know html, some basics of php and that's it. I can reshape script a little bit just to look at the end how I need, even to work like I need - if it's simple. But when it comes to technical issues I can only relly on complete, clearly described solutions because I'm not able to came up with my own.

I have tried whatever I have found, here, on stackoverflow and few other websites.

It's only 5 or 6 simple settings in FB app... come on... I was checking it thousands of times for any smallest mistakes

• I have just noticed one more thing. I was installing Vanilla using Installatron, because my hosting gives me that possibility, now I'm trying to installit by my self. When i've uploaded untouched zip file with vanilla I have noticed small difference after unzipping. All files arr 666 and directories are 777, when after Installatron dirs were 755 and files were 644. My hosting does not allow me to open in browse file with 666 attributes is there any chance it maybe somehow connected?

edited April 2017

You should not need technical knowledge to get this to work. But also remember that facebook is the one who authorizes connections to Vanilla forums, and based on your issue, their end is having the problem. Maybe they can shed some light on why it is working with mybb and not with vanilla. In the link I posted is a way to find out what is happening.

Otherwise try the support forum at the devs on facebook

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login

You should use an ftp client like Filezilla to upload the unzipped folders and overwrite the old installation.

No folder should have permissions higher than 775 because 777 basically opens your files to get hacked.

You should be able to browse all files in your root folder. It is possible your owner permissions are wrong and that needs to be fixed by your host. Owner permissions are not the same as chmod file read and write permissions.

Try browsing your files via ftp client like Filezilla.

Check the htaccess file to be correct, and you have rewrite urls enabled. You can post it here if in doubt.

• I'm using TotalCommander as ftp client. I've sent there untouched original zip from here, uziped there and it came out from package like that - dirs 777 and files 666. I actually see something like that for the first time, it never happened before.

You should not upload zipped files. Download the Vanilla software from here, but not the beta make sure it's 2.3 and unzipp the vanilla folder and then upload it by overwriting the old installation except keep the config.php with the setup info from the old installation.

I am not familiar with that ftp client. But it should work the same I presume.

• KoriakinKoriakin New
    edited April 2017

@vrijvlinder Yeah I'll try that

Also Facebook released yesterday new (2.9) API for all new apps

PS. Just checked with one of my old apps API 2.3 and still the same.

• @vrijvlinder did that, also tried the same with 2.4b1.

Later I've tried to do it under different domain, completely from scratch... under different browsers, everytime between attempts I was clearing cookies etc. tried all php versions between 5.6 - 7.1.

I presume this script is fine as it is, just "plug'n'play", and I like to think I'm not that dumb to tried so many times with no effect because of my mistake somwhere... it's so fu.ng simple that there is literally only 4 things crucial to work.

At this point I'm 75% sure there are some weird circumstances on my host which are making it impossible.

I've mentioned before about file permitions and that is actualy very strange. Everytime I'm installing any script, I always send it just as it came from developer in package - untouched, staright to server via ftp, and unpacking is done there via DirectAdmin or cPanel or whatever there is. It alwas worked for me better than sending it unpacked because: 1. Time, and 2. File permitions issues when sending it unpacked under windows.
    For some reason when I'm unpacking Vanilla it comes out with 777 dirs and 666 files. It doesn't happen with other scripts.
    There is something in my environment not compatible with Vanilla.
    I have no other host to try.

Because I have totaly no progress in 3 days now, I need to give up this project.

Later in free time I will make some other investigations, I will try do it with WAMP for example.

Anyway thak you for now.

• @Koriakin said:
    After more than 20 attempts of integraition with facebook login I came to 2 (TWO) major issues:

1. Your facebook plugin asks FB for publish_actions permition and your guides does not tell what you have to do to make it work, because pure clean and fresh vanilla instance when connecting to fresh APP makes FB to respond like that: "Submit for Login Review
      Some of the permissions below have not been approved for use by Facebook." - and there is actually nothing more in this note but I have found publish_actions in your script in scope section.

FYI, I personally changed this configuration setting to exclude the publish_actions permission:

$Configuration['Plugins']['Facebook']['Scope'] = 'email,publish_pages'

• @Caylus I did that shortly after I've found it ;)