Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Version 2.3.1 and Wordpress Vanilla Forum Plugin Problems

Hi,

I upgraded from 2.1.11 to 2.3.1 tonight on my website. I'm having problems embedding my Vanilla forum back into my Wordpress website since the upgrade.

Basically if I re-enable the 'Embed Forum' option via the dashboard I just seem to get caught in a loop where trying to access the forum continually loads / reloads the main forum front page but without embedding it in my Wordpress theme. Disabling the 'Embed Forum' allows me to access the forum (but obviously no longer embedded in Wordpress).

my Vanilla files are hosted at

www.mywebsite.com/forums

The Wordpress page is at

www.mywebsite.com/forum

I've made the relevant settings in both the Embed Forum settings and the Wordpress plugin settings. In fact these haven't changed since before the upgrade.

I have tried with version 5.6 and 7.0 of PHP but no difference. I am on the latest version of Wordpress.

Anything else I can try (please don't say try the Wordpress plugin page I'm not sure anyone visits there any more) :)

Many thanks in advance...

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

If you are not using the latest version 2.3.1 , you are shit out of luck.. you probably have been hacked ... anyone ever tell you embedding is for slackers and losers ?

Why the hell embed ?? please explain that and I will help you solve your problems...

• ???

I am using 2.3.1.

Why provide the option to embed if it's for 'slackers and users'.

Why do I use it? It's nice to have a seamless user experience for the website users. Can you solve my problem please?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2017

Yes I can, you must style your forum to match your main site. I can help you do that.

Embedding a forum is not the best user experience. That is why I said what I said. Most people complain that the only reason they embed is to make the forum look more like their site, but does it ?

You should have a stand alone forum which looks just like your site and use single sign on if necessary .

A standalone forum is so much better by miles than an embedded one. It is not subject to WP issues. It will not break as often.

If you are on 2.3.1 , why post on a 2.0- 2.2 category?

• I have a problem with the installation of the last version too.
    The tutorial of this page: https://blog.vanillaforums.com/news/how-to-use-the-vanilla-commenting-system-with-wordpress/ tells to enter in the 'Comment integration' section:

But there are no sections under 'Vanilla Forum' anymore :(

Screenshot from my panel:

Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Thanks!

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Yes I can, you must style your forum to match your main site. I can help you do that.

Embedding a forum is not the best user experience. That is why I said what I said. Most people complain that the only reason they embed is to make the forum look more like their site, but does it ?

You should have a stand alone forum which looks just like your site and use single sign on if necessary .

A standalone forum is so much better by miles than an embedded one. It is not subject to WP issues. It will not break as often.

Right. I've just seen your post for alternative ways of embedding/integrating. I'll start investigating.

If you are on 2.3.1 , why post on a 2.0- 2.2 category?

Sorry. My mistake. Perhaps the mods can edit this post and put it in the correct category.

• One of the reasons I came to vanilla was its' embedding ability... which seemed to work just fine for me. I'm starting to think vrijvlinder just likes to troll.

• @musivara said:
    I have a problem with the installation of the last version too.
    The tutorial of this page: https://blog.vanillaforums.com/news/how-to-use-the-vanilla-commenting-system-with-wordpress/ tells to enter in the 'Comment integration' section:

But there are no sections under 'Vanilla Forum' anymore :(

Screenshot from my panel:

Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Thanks!

@musivara, maybe try re-installing the vanilla plugin??